Developmental English/Reading Coordinator
Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for a Developmental English/Reading Coordinator.
May 17, 2014.
The Coordinators to assist the Chair of the English Department with the following support as related to the developmental English and Reading offerings in the department.
Scope of Work
This assignment will begin August 1, 2014 and will end June 30, 2015; approximately 105 work hours/semester (210 work hours/year).
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Assist Chair to develop semester schedules for ENG 98R, ENG/READ 95 cohort courses, and READ 135 courses.
- Assist the chair in the implementation of the new Accuplacer cut-scores for adoption in 2015-16.
- Work with the English Skills Center faculty and administrators to develop clear pathways for transfer of students. Develop clear guidelines for transfer of these students into ENG college credit courses that include multiple pathways. These guidelines are to be accessible to students and faculty.
- Ensure that part-time instructors are of the highest quality:
- The Coordinator will coordinate issues related to part-time instructors involving:
- Recommendations for hire including reference checks;
- Providing mentorship through providing the following types of activities: feedback, orientation to course objectives and outcomes, assist with classroom management concerns, orient to resources available for their classroom, etc.
- The Coordinator will conduct peer observations and share observations with the instructor and the Chair.
- Ensure part-time instructor compliance with program/discipline guidelines.
- Ensure that appropriate assessment is occurring in all courses in this area and appropriate paperwork is completed.
- Coordinate book orders among Developmental English/Read faculty in a timely manner to English office staff.
- Assist chair in developing new goals, curriculum, and outcomes/assessment study for Developmental English and Reading courses.
- Help to develop and/or outreach to the high schools in Northern Nevada (as necessary), which could include seminars, meetings, trainings, etc.
- Serve as chair of the English Developmental Committee and coordinate Developmental activities with the Department Chair and report to the Dean on the overall aspects, progress etc. of Developmental activities.
At the end of each semester, the Coordinator will provide a written report that details the progress and activities of Developmental English & Reading to the Department Chair and Dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC Developmental English and/or Reading faculty.
- One year full time teaching experience in developmental English or Reading.
- Be familiar with the English Department, Developmental English, Reading courses, and their function within the college, and course requirements associated with all.
- Have knowledge and proven skills with strategies for outcomes/assessment for Developmental English courses and Reading courses.
- Have experience with curriculum development and/or experience with outcomes and assessment studies.
Three credits of reassigned time per semester (6 credits per year) or monetary equivalent.
English Department Chair.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing qualifications and background information as relevant to the responsibilities outlined above and a current CV. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5 p.m. on June 10, 2014.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before June 13, 2014.