College ESL Program Coordinator
Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for a College ESL Program Coordinator.
May 17, 2014.
The coordinator is to assist the Chair of the English Department with the following support as related to the College ESL Program.
Scope of Work
This assignment will begin Aug. 14, 2014 and will end June 30, 2015; approximately 105 work hours/semester (210 work hours/year).
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Provide a review of the ENG 112 sequence of courses and make recommendations regarding streamlining the curriculum to promote student progression and completion of this sequence.
- Provide recommendations on alternative pathways into ENG 113/ENG 114 beside current paths.
- Work with Community ESL faculty and administrators to develop clear pathways for transfer of students. Develop clear guidelines for transfer of these students into ENG college credit courses that include multiple pathways. These guidelines are to be accessible to students and faculty.
- Working with the Department Chair, coordinate all part-time ESL teaching assignments: Recruit, screen, conduct reference checks, hire (with Department Chair approval), train, observe, evaluate and mentor part-time instructors.
- In conjunction with all full-time faculty recommend appropriate number and distribution of classes. In this aim the coordinator will:
- Utilize official enrollment data to develop the class schedule.
- Consult with other NSHE faculty regarding curricular issues.
- Ensure courses are offered in a schedule that allows students access and contributes to their retention and graduation.
- Make changes to curriculum and program requirements as needed and carry through the appropriate college process.
- Assessment processes must be ensured. In this aim the coordinator will:
- Assist in the coordination, collection and analysis of established courses assessment data and produce an annual report based on these findings.
- Develop, revise and review assessment guidelines and procedures as necessary.
- Develop course and program modifications based on assessment data.
- Work with faculty senate committees to ensure compliance with college policies and procedures.
- Work closely with the TMCC Testing Center, the Department Chair, and the ESL Committee to refine accuracy of ACCUPLACER cut/course-placement scores and student-advisement guidelines.
- Conduct regular meetings of full- and part-time instructors to discuss program goals, textbook selection, issues and concerns.
- Stay current on changing trends in College English as a Second Language at other community colleges toward the goal of building and improving the TMCC College ESL program.
- Act as an advocate for ESL students and the College ESL Program.
- Accountability: At the end of each semester, the coordinator will provide a written report that details progress and activities to the Department Chair and Dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty and include the peer observations conducted on part time instructors. The annual report on assessment duties of this position is to be turned in during the Spring 2015 semester.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC ESL College faculty.
- One year full time teaching experience in college level ESL.
- Must be familiar with the curriculum components of ESL, including assessment practices.
- Must be familiar with the current ESL course offerings and requirements as well as all current issues and trends in academic ESL programming.
Three credits reassigned time per semester (6 credits reassigned time per year) or equivalent monetary stipend.
English Department Chair.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing qualifications and background information as relevant to the responsibilities outlined above and a current CV. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5 p.m. on June 10, 2014.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before June 13, 2014.