Veterinary Technician Program Information
Applicants admitted to the Veterinary Technician Program will pursue an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Veterinary Technology. The degree is necessary to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) to pursue licensing.
The following are requirements to be completed at the time of application:
- Completed enrollment as a TMCC student
- Requested all official transcripts from other schools you have attended be sent to the Admissions and Records office
- Completed the following prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of "C" in each course
BIOL 190 – Cell and Molecular Biology – both lecture and lab (4 credits total)
ENG 101 or ENG 113
MATH 120 – Fundamentals of College Mathematics or higher
(Note: BIOL 201 is no longer a prerequisite for the Veterinary Technician Program)
All prerequisite classes must be completed by the end of the spring semester (June 1). After receipt of an application, final grades for the spring semester will be checked via the TMCC system or by the student submitting the appropriate documentation. A letter of acceptance or denial for the program will be mailed via USPS by mid to late June. Upon receipt of the letter of acceptance, students are required to return a form indicating if they are accepting or denying admission by a designated date. After such time, students will be contacted via e-mail with details for registration for the fall semester and information about the program's orientation session.
Many students who are admitted to the Veterinary Technician Program have many, if not all, of the general education requirements for the AAS degree completed prior to starting the program. This enables students to graduate with the AAS degree upon completion of the program and sit for the VTNE. If you have not previously met with a TMCC academic advisor, it is in your best interest to do so.
The following course work is required for an Associate of Applied Science degree in Veterinary Technology:
- ENG 101 – Composition I, or ENG 113
- ENG 102 – Composition II, or ENG 114
- MATH 120 – Fundamentals of College Mathematics or higher
- BIOL 190 – (both lecture and lab)
- Human Relations (recommended CE 201, CPD 124, CPD 129, CPD 132, EPY 101, MGT 171, MGT 201)
- Social Science/Humanities
- U.S. and Nevada Constitution
- Diversity (can be satisfied with an appropriate SS/Humanities class) (recommended ANTH 205, ANTH 208, ANTH 229, EDU 203, ENG 231, ENG 232, GEOG 200, HIST 208, HIST 209, PHIL 210, PSY 276, SOC 205, SOC 276)
Note: Starting fall 2012, applicants to the Veterinary Technician Program must have experience in the field of veterinary technology prior to admission. If you do not have at least 6 months of work experience in a veterinary facility, you must complete 50 hours of observation at a veterinary hospital. Please see the Applicant Task Observation Form. You must include the Applicant Task Observation Form with your completed application if you do not have at least 6 months of work experience in the field. If you have at least 6 months of work experience, please include a resume with your application. Veterinary experience on your resume must be verifiable. For questions about acceptable veterinary experience, please contact us.