Making an Appointment with a Tutor
All tutoring appointments are held at the Tutoring and Learning Center, Dandini Campus, Vista Building, room B106.
Tutoring is free and you may use up to three hours of one-on-one tutoring appointments per week (Monday through Saturday). You may attend drop-in tutoring, supplemental instruction sessions, and workshops as often as you like.
Note: You must be currently enrolled at TMCC in the class for which you are receiving tutoring.
How to Make an Appointment with a Tutor
- To sign in at a TLC station, log in in to the MyTMCC student portal. To sign in from any computer with Internet access, go to my.tmcc.edu and sign in using your TMCC username and password.
- Once you are logged in, look under Other Resources, and click on Schedule Free Tutoring . If you are a first-time user and receive an error message, please refresh your browser (press F5 on a PC or Command-R on a Mac).
- If this is the first tme you have accessed the scheduling system this semester, you will have to fill out a registration form. It will ask for your name, student ID number, and telephone number. After that, this information will be stored in our database.
The current schedule is called the Tutoring Schedule. All tutors will appear on one schedule. To find a tutor for your subject, choose your subject from the "Limit to" menu.
- Search for the time you would like to use tutoring, and click on a White Box.
If you cannot find a time that fits your schedule you can sign up to be on the waiting list. When a time slot becomes available, you will receive an email. All emails are sent to your TMCC student email account.
White Boxes indicate an available time slot. You may use up to three hours of tutoring a week (Monday through Saturday). Appointments are either 30 minutes or 1 hour.
Dark Blue Boxes indicate unavailable times slots.
Light Blue Boxes indicate other students' appointments.
- Fill in all required fields on the reservation window. Click Save Appointment.
- To log out, click Log Out at the top right corner. If you are at a stand-up computer station in the TLC, click END SESSION at the bottom of the screen. An email will be sent to your TMCC email address confirming the time and date of your tutoring appointment.
- To cancel your appointment, repeat the previous steps 1 through 3. Your appointment will appear in YELLOW on the schedule.
- Open up the appointment by clicking on it and check the big box at the bottom that says "Cancel this appointment". The system will only allow you to cancel appointments up to 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. If you cannot cancel your appointment in time, please contact the TLC immediately at 775-674-7517.
If you do not arrive within 15 minutes of the start of our appointment, it will be marked as a "missed" appointment. After two missed appointments you will no longer be able to schedule individual tutoring appointments; however, you may still use our drop-in tutoring center.
Students may use up to three hours of tutoring each week, Monday through Saturday. You may use up to two hours in one day, but you may not schedule appointments back-to-back. All appointments are either 30 minutes or 1 hour.
What to do beforehand to prepare for your appointment:
- Bring your book, assignment, notebook, and all relevant materials.
- Start your assignment on your own. The tutor needs to assess your understanding to effectively help you learn.
- Be ready to participate in the session and get the most out of your time with the tutor!
- Remember that tutors are not teachers. The pace of the tutoring session is dependent on your understanding.
Missed Appointment and Cancellation Policy
Students will receive an email message from us after you miss one appointment. After two missed appointments, students will not be able to schedule any appointments online for the rest of the semester. Students will still be able to use the TLC for study space and drop-in tutoring. Cancellations must be made online at least before your appointment is scheduled to begin. If students miss the cancellation deadline please make every effort to come to the appointment and avoid a missed appointment.
Two Ways to Cancel an Appointment
- Log on to MyTMCC, then the Online Scheduler
- Click on your appointment box in the schedule, it should be coded in yellow. At the bottom of the appointment window should be box to check that reads Cancel This Appointment. Check that box, then click on the Save Changes button.
- Once logged into the scheduler, you can click on Go to the Control Panel at the top of the screen. It will list all your upcoming appointments. On the right hand side, you may click on cancel for any appointment you wish to cancel. If the cancel feature is not available, it may be too late to cancel, so please make every effort to make your appointment. You may also call the Tutoring and Learning Center.
What is Expected of You as a Student in the TLC
- You need to come prepared for your tutoring session by arriving on time and checking in the receptionist before your appointment time.
- You need to prepare for your tutoring session by bringing your assignment, starting your assignment first on your own, or writing down your questions for your tutor.
- It is expected that you participate in your tutoring session; the progress of the session is mutually dependent on the student and the tutor.
- The tutor will work with you at a pace that is best for your learning.