ESL Tutoring at TMCC
The ESL Resource exists to enhance, or supplement, students' individual efforts in English Language Acquisition by providing a place with programs and resources for students to practice and perfect specific areas of need related to pronunciation, grammar, syntax, reading, and writing.
Location: Vista B106C (inside the Tutoring & Learning Center)
The ESL Resource Center has tutors that help you gain access to a library of resources to practice many communications skills. You can also find online help on this webpage.
The following is a breakdown of what the ESL Resource Center has to offer:
- Get help with any ESL homework.
- Learn to use the great resources available to help with learning English—books, CD's, videos, cassettes.
- Practice the basic ESL skills—Listening, Speaking, Pronunciation, Reading, Writing, Grammar.
In order to make your tutoring experience most effective, please adhere to the following:
- Have your assignment, assignment instructions, textbook, paper, writing utensils and anything else that is necessary to maximize the quality of your session.
- Keep noise to a reasonable level and refrain behaviors that disturb others. Everyone deserves the same opportunity to work in a quiet and productive workspace. ERC tutors reserve the right to ask disruptive students to leave and not return if necessary.
- Always feel free to ask questions if an explanation does not make sense to you.
- Tutors will enhance your finished work, but they will not complete coursework for you.
- Tutors are not authorized to teach students. If you do not understand course concepts, then your instructor is your best resource.
- Tutors will not edit entire writing assignments. Tutors will perform a “paper review,” which consists of the following:
- Checking for the presence of a thesis statement
- Checking for correct academic writing format
- Checking for the presence of an introduction and a conclusion
- Examination of one paragraph for common grammatical errors
- Tutors will not make judgments on the quality of students' work – whether an assignment is “good” or otherwise. Your instructor determines that during the grading process.
ESL Online Resources
Dave's ESL Café – Idioms, quizzes, slang
English Club – Quizzes, jokes
ESL Independent Study Lab – TOEFL, games
ESL Resource Center – Lessons, exercises for all skills
KarIn's English PartyLand – Quizzes and trivia on many topics
Many Things – Anagrams, quizzes on all topics
The Internet TESL Journal – Games, quizzes on many topics
American Accent Training – Very specific help with pronunciation
Eva Easton's Authentic American Pronunciation – Listening exercises, quizzes, songs
Activities 4 ESL Student – Grammar and vocabulary quizzes, games
Online Writing Lab – Grammar and writing exercises
Story Archives – Reading
Writing Den – Writing
Merriam-Webster – Vocabulary and spelling games
TELF Games – Vocabulary games
The Free Dictionary – Vocabulary
CNN News – Reading/listening
The Online News Hour – Reading
Voice Of America – Reading/listening
Cal Poly — Exercises, notes to help improve your study skills
College ESL Program
Truckee Meadows Community College
7000 Dandini Boulevard, RDMT 207
Reno, Nevada 89512-3999
Telephone: 775-673-7139 or Fax: 775-673-7275
Email: Send A Message!