Planning for College for High School Freshmen
- Talk to a counselor who will recommend classes that help you build skills in English, math and critical thinking.
- Strengthen your vocabulary by increasing the amount of reading you do.
- Study hard and get good grades.
- Browse college websites to get an idea of what high school courses are required for college admission.
- Keep a portfolio of your academic achievements and your extracurricular activities.
- Start thinking about what interests you.
- Go to the career center at your high school to explore career possibilities.
- Start saving money for college.
Parents of Freshman Students
- Work with your son or daughter to develop a plan for going to college.
- Discuss what types of institutions your child would like to attend.
- Assist your child in researching college literature and websites to determine admission requirements.
- Review your child's high school course schedule each term to ensure that they are enrolled in appropriate classes that will meet admission requirements.
- Help your child start thinking about how his or her interests match certain careers. For instance, a student who is interested in becoming a doctor should take science classes.
- Start researching the costs of college and saving money.