College versus High School: Studying
Studying in High School
- Teachers may often set aside class time for students to work on homework. Study time outside of class may be as little as two hours a week.
- Students are expected to read short assignments that are then discussed and often re-taught in class.
- Teachers often remind students of their incomplete or pending work.
- Students will usually be told what they are expected to learn from assigned materials.
Studying in College
- Students need to plan to study two to three hours for every hour they are in class.
- Students are assigned substantial amounts of reading and writing that may not be directly addressed in the classroom.
- Students are expected to complete homework listed on the syllabus without being reminded.
- It is up to students to read and understand the assigned material; lectures and exam schedules are based on the assumption that they have done so.