College versus High School: Grades
Grades in High School
- Grades are given for most assigned work.
- Consistently good homework may help raise students overall grade even when test results have low grades.
- Extra credit projects are often available to students to help them raise their grade.
- Initial test grades may not have an adverse effect on a student's final grade.
Grades in College
- All assigned work may or may not be graded.
- Students should check the course syllabus for how assignments are weighted. Results on tests and major projects or papers usually provide most of the course grade.
- Extra credit projects are seldom available.
- First tests may count for a substantial part of a student's grade. If students receive notice that they are not doing well, schedule an appointment with a counselor to learn strategies for improving study habits or time management skills or make use of the free tutoring offered.