Math Placement Test Preparation
A review of basic math concepts and skills can significantly raise a student's score on a math placement test. The review options below are designed to help self-motivated students place into an appropriate math class. Please note that these are "self-help" options: no TMCC tutoring or instruction is provided (also note that any specific course information contained in an external link applies to the institution that has set up this link and not to TMCC).
- ACCUPLACER provides sample test questions (scroll down in the file to the sections labeled Arithmetic Sample Questions, Elementary Algebra Sample Questions and College-Level Mathematics Test).
- Los Angeles Valley College provides sample test questions (choose the Elementary Algebra or Intermediate Algebra or Pre-Calculus tests).
- College of Southern Nevada provides sample test questions (select a test under ACCUPLACER Info and Practice).
- EnableMath provides an algebra review course.
- This Pre-Algebra Quick Review (designed to help students place into Math 095) is for students who need only a little brushing up on their pre-algebra math skills.
The extensive pre-algebra review options below are for students who are highly motivated and comfortable teaching themselves math on their own—students testing below Math 095 who need motivation, support, and tutoring to learn math should enroll in the TMCC Skills Center.
ALEKS Online Pre-algebra Course
ALEKS provides an initial assessment of the student's math skills, an individualized curriculum based upon that initial assessment, guided practice problems, worked examples, video tutorials, and regular assessments during the course. The 18-week ALEKS access code to take this class currently costs $67.00 (if purchased online). For details, see ALEKS Pre-Algebra Course.
Free "Pencil and Paper" Pre-algebra Course
This course uses a free, downloadable textbook that provides lessons, worked examples, and practice problems with answers. Video lessons covering many of the course's topics and additional practice problems are also provided. The student works through assigned chapters and sections. For details, see Free Pre-Algebra Course (choose Study Guide for the course outline and instructions).