Web Resources by Subject: Political Science
Three Branches of Government
- House of Representatives
Floor schedules, member information, Committees, etc.
- Government Accountability Office
The "investigative arm of congress." Check out their reports.
- Library of Congress
Search the library or go to: THOMAS (Great site to get bills, Committee Reports, etc.) or American MemoryOutstanding collections of historic images from America's past.
Other Sites of Interest
United States Constitution Links
- Farrand's Records of the Federal Convention of 1787
These are reproductions of the actual notes of the proceedings at the Constitutional Convention. Also included are letters by some of the delegates.
Election and Campaign Finance
Find out how much money the politicians are getting and spending and who the donors are.
- Project Vote Smart
Detailed voting records, biographies and interest group ratings.
See what the Political Action Committees are up to. See which industry and company gives to various parties and candidates (information from OpenSecrets.org).
- Super PACs (information from OpenSecrets.org)
International Political Links
- The United Nations
Lots of information, from conferences and reports to a great collection of international law resources.
- The European Union
Site has reports, legal texts and statistics.
- The World Bank
Provides development assistance to nations in need.
- The International Monetary Fund
Major U.S. Political Parties
- Freetimea — As in the title of this project, if you have a lot of free time, this proposal might make sense...
- Foundation — A collection of articles and documents that discuss the sustainability of human population growth and human impacts on the earth.
- Geolibertarian Home Page — An interesting blend of libertarian and green political philosophies.
- Panarchy — A collection of texts about various aspects of panarchy, polyarchy, anarchy and other uncommon philosophies.
- Promethia — "The Promethean movement is dedicated to advancing human life through self-expression, augmented by authentic freedom, experimentality and individualism."
- School of Cooperative Individualism — "a unique socio-political philosophy as well as the basis for citizens of any society to establish a system of law that secures and protects individual liberty, equality of opportunity and human rights."
- Anarchy Watch — Contains dozens of links to news and websites about anarchism.
- Wikipedia entry — An excellent discussion of democracy. Many external links included.
- Democracy in the Google Directory
- Global Nation Organization — "A modern human society for intellectuals to assist in engineering a Whole World Government for the better of environment and human development."
- United Nations — "UN and its family of organizations work to promote respect for human rights, protect the environment, fight disease and reduce poverty."
- Directory of Resources
- Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation — The University of California Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation (IGCC) facilitates innovative, rigorous research into the causes of international conflict and cooperation.
Interest Groups (major groups)
- Club for Growth — is "a national network of thousands of Americans, from all walks of life, who believe that prosperity and opportunity come through economic freedom." Their policy goals include: making the Bush tax cuts permanent, expanding free trade and cutting and limiting government spending.
- Emily's List — This group "is dedicated to building a progressive America by electing pro-choice Democratic women to federal, state, and local office." Their main policy goal is to "build a progressive majority and construct a society built around equal opportunity for all, civil rights, diversity, and compassion."
- MoveOn.org — This group strives to bring "real Americans back into the political process. With over 3.3 million members across America — from carpenters to stay-at-home moms to business leaders — we work together to realize the progressive promise of our country."
- Yahoo Directory of political interest groups
Public Policy Research Groups
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities — "The Center conducts research and analysis to help shape public debates over proposed budget and tax policies and to help ensure that policymakers consider the needs of low-income families and individuals in these debates. We also develop policy options to alleviate poverty."
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget — "The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget is a bipartisan, non-profit organization committed to educating the public about issues that have significant fiscal policy impact."
- World Public Opinion — "The WorldPublicOpinion.org network is a consortium of research centers studying public opinion on international issues in their respective countries."
State and Local Government
- State of Nevada
Learn about state agencies, economic development, etc.
- Nevada Legislature
Find your representative, track bills.
- State and Local Government on the Net
Convenient one-stop access to the websites of thousands of state agencies and city and county governments.
- National Archives
Find information on everything from passports to taxes to patent applications.
- GPO Access
Search for information in the various branches of federal government, and search the laws of the land.
Return to Library Web Resources by Subject