Web Resources by Subject: Anthropology 201 — Peoples and Cultures of the World
- Wide Angle
A PBS site that covers news from around the world.
- World News Network
Headlines and news from around the world in one convenient place!
- Country Studies
Use these comprehensive reports to learn about the worlds' nations and their peoples.
- World Heritage from UNESCO
This site is dedicated to promoting the preservation of cultural sites around the world.
Sites of Special Interest
Find "time-critical humanitarian information on Complex Emergencies and Natural Disasters" at this United Nations site.
- United Nations
- United Nations System of Organizations
- Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization
This site explores the land rights issues of indigenous minority cultures around the world.
- World Health Organization
The World Health Organization's East Mediterranean Office provides services and support in eradicating diseases the Middle Eastern area of the world.
- African Nations Information
- Africa News Online
- Africa Traditional Sudanese Medicine
Learn about traditional Sudanese medicine.
- Country Specific Pages
- DARFUR NOW is a documentary film
a story of hope in the midst of one of humanity's darkest hours — a call to action for people everywhere to end the catastrophe unfolding in Darfur, Sudan.
- Embassy of Sudan
Learn all about this exciting country. Includes information on their thriving economy.
- Maasai Oral Histories
- Native Web's Africa Page
- Our Sudan: Its Pyramids and Progress
Read the book 'Our Sudan'.
- Save Darfur
Read about the troubles in the region and take action to help!
- Arctic Circle
- Alaska Native Curriculum and Teacher Development (Alascool)
- Aleut (People of the Aleutian Chain)
- Inuit Circumpolar Council-Alaska
This site "represents and advocates for the Iñupiat of the Arctic Slope, Northwest, Bering Straits; St. Lawrence Island (Siberian) Yupik, and; Central Yup'ik and Cup'ik of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta in Southwest Alaska."
- Australian Centre for Indigenous History
- Asia Monitor Resource Center (Monitors and reports on Asian labor issues)
- Aboriginal Australia
- Australia's Cultural Network
- Center for Asian and Pacific Studies
- Chinese Historical and Cultural Project
This site explores Indigenous Australia through storytelling, cultures and histories.
- European Network for Indigenous Australian Rights
- Frog and Toad's Indigenous Australia
A busy and colorful site about Indigenous Australia.
- Garma Festival
Learn about the Garma Festival, the largest and most vibrant celebration of Yolngu Aboriginal people of Australia
- Hawaiian Natives
- Japan Times
- Message Stick - A Portal to Indigenous Australian Information
- On the road in China
A radio tour of China's economy from the boomtown of Shanghai to the poverty-stricken villages around the Gobi Desert.
- Papua New Guinea
- Reconciliation Australia
Reconciliation Australia aims to identify and develop business practices that contribute to the well-being and quality of life of Indigenous Australians.
- Samoan Sensation
- South Seas
- Tasmania Online
- Tibet Information Network
- Tibetan Government–in–Exile
- Buber's Basque Page
- The Legacy of Medieval Serbia
- Patrin — Romani (Gypsy) Culture and History
- Central Europe Online
- The Gaelic Homepage
- The Kurdish Information Network
- Russia on the Net
- Central Eurasia Project
- The Scotsman
The Sami Peoples of Scandinavia
- Introduction to the Sami People
- Sami in Finland (includes an excellent map of distribution of the Sami people)
Latin America and South America
- Amazon Watch
- Columbia Support Network (Paz y Justicia Para Columbia!)
- El Salvador's Native Peoples
- LANIC (Latin American information and statistics)
- Native American Resources
Middle East and Near East
- Afghans: Their History and Culture
This site has information on Afghani geography, people, festivities, food and more.
- A Historical Guide To Afghanistan by Nancy Hatch Dupree
- Afghanistan and the US
Afghan Links Assembled by U.C. Berkeley Library.
- Afghanistan and the War on Terror
- Afghanistan Studies
- Life in Afghanistan
Learn about life in Afghanistan at the BBC News site.
- The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU)
The AREU is an independent research organization whose mission is to conduct and facilitate action-oriented research and learning that informs and influences policy and practice. Fundamental to AREU's vision is that its work should improve Afghan lives.
- Afghanistan Online
Learn about the country, buy books and other stuff.
- Afghan Network:
News, information, entertainment, shopping.
- Assyria Online
- Asharq Alawsat
The leading Arabic International Daily
- Assyrian Information Medium
Read about the Hazara people and culture and the challenges they face in war-torn Afghanistan.
- Historical Guide to Kabul
Read about the history of this famous city.
- Hometown Baghdad
An ongoing documentary web series following the lives of a few Iraqi 20-somethings trying to survive in Baghdad. The everyday life of the Iraqi citizen has been the great untold story of the Iraq war.
- Kurdish Media
News by and about the Kurdish People.
- Native Web's Africa Page
- Online resources for the book Kite Runner
The library also has this book on the shelf at PS 3608.O832
- SAMIRA ATASH
SAMIRA ATASH translates traditional Central Asian and Far East influences into beautiful and original Western, contemporary designs.
- Sergei Zharov was here (Afghanistan)
Photographs of people and places in Afghanistan.
- The Afghans: Their History and Culture
This site outlines the history, food, music and more of the Afghan people.
- Whiling Dervishes
Learn about this traditional Turkish dance group.
Native Americans (North America)
- Native American Resources
- Native Web
NativeWeb is an international, nonprofit, educational organization dedicated to usinf technology to... disseminate information from and about indigenous nations, peoples, and organizations around the world...
Nevada Native American Sites
- Native Nevada Classroom
- Inter-Tribal Council of Nevada
- NumaGroup (formerly Al Mandell's World)
- Lost City Museum
Back to Anthropology Resources