Mobile Telecommunication Devices
Policy: Mobile telecommunication (telecom) devices such as a cellular (cell) phone or a Smartphone have been an integral part for most job functions. Employees who hold positions that include the need for these devices may receive a stipend to compensate for business-related costs incurred when using their individually owned mobile devices. Mobile telecom devices that are purchased by the college for an employee's use are the property of the college. These devices may not be used for any personal activities.
Originating Source: Request for Policy Review – Add a Policy – 11/20/12
Responsible Office: Information Technology
Created: November 20, 2012
This procedure applies to mobile devices whose primary purpose is for telecommunication, such as cellular phones or Smartphones. An employee is eligible for a stipend or a college designated mobile telecom device if at least one of the following criteria is met:
- The job function of the employee requires considerable time outside of his/her assigned office or work area and it is important to the College that s/he is accessible during those times;
- The job function of the employee requires him/her to be accessible outside of scheduled or normal working hours;
- The job function of the employee requires him/her to have wireless data, email and internet access outside of the office or beyond normal scheduled working hours; and/or
- The employee is designated as "first responder" and/or "essential" to emergencies on campus.
Personal Mobile Telecom Devices
- Request Form: Eligible employees requesting a stipend for business-related costs incurred for their personal mobile telecom device must complete the "Mobile Device Allowance Request Form." This form must be approved by the employee's direct supervisor as well as by the appropriate Cabinet member for signature. The completed and signed form should be sent to the Department of Budget and Planning. Once received and processed, a taxable monthly stipend will be added to the employee's paycheck each month. The stipend will be charged to the appropriate departmental operating budget as indicated on the form.
- Stipend Amount: The amount of stipend represents a sharing of the cost of a typical contract necessary to meet business-related needs for either voice services and/or data services. TMCC offers two levels of taxable monthly stipend, one level for voice or data plans, and another for voice and data plans. An average usage level is based on the expectation that approximately 25% or more of the monthly minutes and data used are work related. A high usage level is based on the expectation that 50% or more of the monthly minutes and data usage are work related. No extra stipend is provided for text message services.
|Usage Level||Voice Plan or Data Plan Allowance||Voice & Data Plan Allowance|
||$25 per month
||$50 per month
||$75 per month
In addition, an equipment stipend of $100 or the lesser of the actual cost of the new device may be provided once every three years.
- Review: A yearly review of the need for a mobile telecom device will be conducted by the appropriate Cabinet member. The stipend will continue unless the Department of Budget and Planning is notified in writing either by the employee, or the supervisor that the allowance is to cease.
- TMCC Technical Support: All support for mobile devices is provided by the cellular service company chosen by the employee. TMCC cannot offer any support for individually-owned mobile devices. However, TMCC will provide support for TMCC-provided software that is used on those devices to synchronize them with TMCC email accounts, calendars or other TMCC systems and services if available for the particular device and if reasonable security protocols can be established. To link a individually-owned mobile device to TMCC systems and services, IT Customer Service should be contacted before purchasing a particular device in order to ascertain the extent to which such linkage is feasible.
- Other Considerations:As a condition of receiving the stipend, the employee understands and agrees that employee may be contacted through his or her personal cell phone number for work-related matters as reasonably necessary during regular or after business hours. Special rules may apply to contacting hourly employees for substantive work issues after hours.
- Election to receive a mobile device stipend and providing your personal cell phone number does not automatically place a classified employee on standby status. Classified employees are only in a standby status when it has been officially designated by their supervisor for a specified time period, at which time the requirements of NAC 284.218 go into effect.
- In addition, personal devices should include necessary security features, including but not limited to password protection and backup systems for information related to college activities. Employees receiving this stipend should report to IT Customer Service and their appropriate College department if their personal device has been lost or stolen. This will ensure appropriate steps are taken to restrict access to college's information within the device (e.g. change of access password to e-mail, contacts or calendar).
- Transition from TMCC Plan to Personal Plan: In order to implement this policy, TMCC employees with existing TMCC mobile device monthly plans should inquire with their provider regarding the appropriate time to convert such plans to personal plans to avoid penalty charges. At the time of conversion, employees may choose to accept an equipment stipend or keep their currently assigned TMCC telecom device. If the employee chooses the latter, the age of the equipment will determine the cycle from when the employee will be eligible again for an equipment stipend. For instance, for devices less than a year old, the employee's next eligibility for a new equipment stipend would be in the next two years. Until such time as the contract is converted to a personal contract, existing procedures for review and payment of mobile device bills will apply.
TMCC-owned Mobile Telecom Devices
- Request Form: Eligible employees requesting or assigned a TMCC owned mobile telecom device must complete the "Mobile Device Request Form." This form must be approved by the employee's direct supervisor as well as by the appropriate Cabinet member for signature. The completed and signed form should be sent to the Department of Budget and Planning.
- Review: As TMCC-owned mobile telecom devices are prohibited for personal use, the employee's direct supervisor is required to review the monthly activities for each device. Violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action.
- Public Records: TMCC-owned mobile telecom device records are likely public records and subject to disclosure (with limited exceptions). Personal mobile device records are less likely to be construed as public records under Nevada law, but you should be aware that this issue has not been resolved as to the extent to which such records may be subject to disclosure under Nevada law.
Questions: Questions about the policy or the procedures should be directed to the Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services.
Originating Policy or Source: TMCC Telecommunications Use Policy; IT Operations Core Service Catalog
Responsible Office: Information Technology
Updated: December 2012