High School Equivalency

Are there other versions of the HSE exams available?

There are seven versions of the exams (English, Spanish, French, Canadian, audio, large print, and Braille). Not all sites will have all the versions. You will need special permission to take the test in audio, large print, or Braille, so make those arrangements well in advance of testing.

Do I have to take all of the HSE classes in the session?

Yes, a commitment throughout the entire 12-week session is mandatory (unless it's determined that you're ready to take one of the actual exams [see above]). Each class in the session is specifically designed to help the students in that session meet the specific academic requirements of the material in which they need further study.

Do I have to take the HSE exams over if I miss one part?

An applicant who takes one of the HSE exams for the first time must complete all sections before retesting on any individual subsection. An applicant who completes initial testing but fails to achieve the minimum scores may be retested on the entire series of tests or on the failed individual subsection tests.

Do I need a Social Security number to take the HSE exams?

No, a Social Security number is not required.

How do I prepare for the HSE exams?

Many Nevada community colleges and literacy agencies offer HSE preparation classes. If you prefer to study on your own, books are available at bookstores and your local library. Practice tests and other resources are available on the internet. Public television stations (PBS) also offer HSE classes on television, although many of these are given in early morning hours and you may wish to tape them for viewing at your convenience.

How are the HSE exams scored?

Each part of the tests are scored separately. Contact us for more information.

How many questions are there on the HSE exams and how much time is allowed per section?

Information below is specific to the GED exam. Please contact us for more information.

TestContent NumberItemsTime Limit
Language Arts
Writing Part I
Organization 15%
Sentence Structure 30%
Usage 30%
Mechanics 25%
50 120 minutes
(45 minutes of this time is allowed for the essay.)
Language Arts
Writing Part II
Essay 1  
Social Studies U.S. History 25%
World History 15%
Civics and Government 25%
Geography 15%
Economics 20%
50 70 minutes
Science Life Science 45%
Earth and Space Science 20%
Physical Science 35%
50 80 minutes
Language Arts
Nonfiction Texts 25%
Literary Texts 75%
  • Prose Fiction
  • Poetry
  • Drama
40 65 minutes
Mathematics Number Operations and Number Sense 25%
Measurement and Geometry 25%
Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability 25%
Algebra 25%
Part I
25 with Calculator 45 minutes

Part II
25 no calculator
45 minutes
Totals:   240 + essay 7 hours, 5 minutes

How many times can I take the HSE exams?

An applicant may be retested any number of times, although availability of alternative forms of the test may limit the number of possible retests in any 12 month period. If an applicant was initially tested with an edition in the English language, a different form of the edition must be used for the retest.

How often are the HSE exams offered?

Check the HSE testing dates for the latest scheduling information.

Some sites give the entire test in one day, in which case all parts of the test must be completed on the same day. Some sites give the test over two days. If the test site gives the test over two days, the applicant, except those requiring special accommodations, must complete initial testing in no more than two sessions held within a period of six weeks. If the applicant fails to complete the tests within the six-week period, the results of the initial testing become invalid.

I am a foreign language student taking the HSE exams in English, may I use a translator?

No. If you feel your English skills are not sufficient, you may take a test in one of the other languages and accessibility versions. Taking the exams in any of these languages is equally difficult to the English version.

If I take one of the HSE exams in Spanish will that be indicated on my HSE certificate?

No; however, it will be indicated on your HSE transcript.

Is advance registration necessary for the HSE exams?

Yes. If you are over eighteen, you will need proof of Nevada residency, a government issued picture ID (driver's license or identification card) and another form of identification.

If you are under the age of 18 you will need other documentation, so check with your test registrar ahead of time to be sure you bring the proper papers with you when you register.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, please refer to the Frequently Asked Question for "May I take the HSE exams if I am not a U.S. citizen".

Is it possible to take the HSE exams in Spanish?

Yes, the Spanish versions are offered at many of the sites in Nevada. Call your local test site or the Adult Education Office to learn where the Spanish versions are offered.

Is there a minimum age requirement to take the HSE exams?

Yes. The minimum age is 18, except in the certain cases. Please contact us for further information.

May I take the HSE exam if I am not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. HSE Testing Service guidelines stipulate that in order for a person to take the HSE tests, he or she must possess verification of identity and eligibility for testing. Identity and age must be verified using acceptable photograph-bearing identification. A driver's license, valid passports, military ID, or another form of government-issued (national or foreign) identification that show name, address, date of birth, signature and photograph are all acceptable forms of identification, unless there is any reason to question their authenticity. An appropriate combination of documents may be used to satisfy the requirements. Non-citizens, including refugees, legal and illegal immigrants, resident and nonresident aliens, and other foreign nationals are eligible to take the HSE tests if they meet all of the requirements of the Commission and the State, province or territory, including requirements on age and withdrawal from school.

May I take the HSE exams if I have a high school diploma from another country?

Yes. Persons whose high school diploma is from an unaccredited high school are eligible to take the HSE tests if they meet all other requirements of the Commission and State, province or territory. Persons who earn diplomas in countries that do not participate in the HSE testing program are likewise eligible to take the HSE tests if they meet all other requirements

Must I be a resident of Nevada to take the HSE exams?

Yes. Certificates of High School Equivalency are only issued to persons who reside in the State of Nevada or who are on active military duty and have attended secondary school in Nevada. Nevada's residency policy for HSE testing allows for testing certain non-residents who live near the border of Nevada in adjacent states when a testing site is not easily accessible to the non-resident. Please contact us for further information.

What areas do the HSE exams cover?

The GED covers: Language Arts Writing (Parts I and II), Reading, Social Studies, Science and Mathematics. Please contact us for further information.

Where are the HSE exams given?

You can register to take the HSE exams at the TMCC Testing Center or various testing centers throughout Nevada. You may take it at any site convenient for you. Some versions of the test may not be offered at every site. Some test sites may have more versions of the test and/or accommodations than others.