High School Equivalency

College News

Nursing Program Expanding in 2015

Maxine S. Jacobs Nursing Program will offer new degree and move into enlarged, remodeled facility.

Legacy Event Honors Students and Donors

TMCC Foundation hosts a festive dinner, creating connections for scholars and their benefactors.

Calendar of Events

TMCC Fall 2014 Resource Fair

Wednesday, October 22
Student Center, Dandini Campus

Free Student Workshop: Understanding Student Loans

Wednesday, October 22
RDMT 412, Dandini Campus

GED Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to GED's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Subcategory:

GeneralBack to Top

How do I get a copy of my HSE (GED) transcript?

Diploma Sender will mail out transcripts for all HSE (formerly GED) transcripts in the State of Nevada.

The first transcript is free of charge; additional transcripts and/or verifications may be obtained for a fee.

HSE ExaminationBack to Top

Which HSE tests are available through TMCC?

TMCC offers the General Education Development (GED) and the High School Equivalency Exam (HiSET).

Do I have to take all of the HSE classes in the session?

Yes, you must commit to the entire 10- or 11-week session (unless it's determined that you're ready to take one of the actual exams [see above]). Each class in the session is specifically designed to help you meet the specific academic requirements of the material.

Do I have to take the HSE exams over if I miss one part?

You must complete all sections before retesting on any individual subsection. You will only need to retake those subsections necessary to pass your exam. 

How do I prepare for the HSE exams?

Many Nevada community colleges and literacy agencies offer HSE preparation classes. If you prefer to study on your own, books are available at bookstores and your local library. Practice tests and other resources are available on the internet. Public television stations (PBS) also offer HSE classes on television, although many of these are given in early morning hours and you may wish to tape them for viewing at your convenience.

How do I find out my HiSET or GED test scores?

Log into your HiSET or GED website portals to view your scores.

How many subsections are there on the HSE exams and how much time is allowed per subsection?

The GED has four test subsections:

  • Math (115 minutes)
  • Language Arts (150 minutes)
  • Science (90 minutes)
  • Social Studies (90 minutes)

The HiSET has five subsections:

  • Math (90 minutes)
  • Language Arts ~ Reading (65 minutes)
  • Language Arts ~ Writing (120 minutes)
  • Science (80 minutes)
  • Social Studies (70 minutes)

How many times can I take the HSE exam?

You may take a specific type of HSE exam up to three times in a calendar year. If you still haven't passed after three attempts, you can move on to a different test type, i.e. GED, HiSET or TASC.

How often are the HSE exams offered?

It depends. To learn when GED tests are being offered, log on to GED's website. To find out about the HiSET, visit TMCC's Workforce Development and Continuing Education's registration page.

I am a foreign language student taking the HSE exam in English. May I use a translator?

No. If your English skills are not sufficient, you may take a test in another language or accessibility version. 

If I take one of the HSE exams in Spanish will that be indicated on my HSE certificate?

No, the certificate does not indicate the exam language. However, your official transcript will indicate the language.

Is it possible to take the HSE exams in Spanish?

Yes. However, you must complete the entire exam in the same language.

How old do I have to be to take an HSE exam?

If you are 18 years old or more, you may take the exam as long as you meet the other test requirements.

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may test under certain conditions. 

You must present the following to the TMCC HSE testing center :

  • the official written permission of withdrawal from compulsory attendance from the board of trustees of a school district (or the applicable designee within the school district or your zoned school); and
  • a signed parental permission form.

You may also be required to demonstrate your proficiency by passing a practice exam. Contact us to verify that you have met all requirements before you register or schedule an HSE exam.

May I take the HSE exam if I am not a U.S. citizen?

Yes, you can. However, you must present a valid photo I.D. when you come to take your test. Acceptable forms of identification are a valid driver's license, passport, military ID or other government-issued ID that shows your name, address, date of birth, signature and photo. Outdated or expired identification cannot be accepted.

Note: Your ID must match the demographic information you provided when you registered for this test. You must also be able to prove your Nevada residency and your personal identification.

May I take the HSE exams if I have a high school diploma from another country?

Yes. Persons whose high school diploma is from an unaccredited high school are eligible to take the HSE tests if they meet all other requirements of the Commission and State, province or territory. Persons who earn diplomas in countries that do not participate in the HSE testing program are likewise eligible to take the HSE tests if they meet all other requirements

Must I be a resident of Nevada to take the HSE exams?

Yes. Certificates of High School Equivalency are only issued to persons who reside in the State of Nevada or who are on active military duty and have attended secondary school in Nevada. Nevada's residency policy for HSE testing allows for testing certain non-residents who live near the border of Nevada in adjacent states when a testing site is not easily accessible to the non-resident. Please contact us for further information.

Where are the HSE exams given?

All of TMCC's HSE exams are given at the Testing Center at TMCC's Meadowood Center.

Can the HSE be taken on the computer or on paper?

TMCC's Testing Center offers both paper and computer format exams. GED tests are only available on the computer, but the HiSET can be given on either paper or by computer.

TASC, another alternative, can be given either way as well. However, the TMCC Testing Center does not offer this exam. To take the TASC, you'll need to contact another authorized testing center.

Can I combine HSE scores from the different types of exams?

No. You must use the same exam (GED, HiSET or TASC) and the same test version (i.e. you cannot combine a GED 202 series with a GED 2014 series exam).

HSE OrientationBack to Top

Are books supplied for HSE orientation?

Yes. Books are provided for classroom use, free of charge.

You will need to purchase a Casio fx-260 solar calculator to bring to class. The Steck-Vaughn Complete GED Preparation Book and the Math Supplement are especially helpful to have for your own use. You are requested to provide your own writing paper and writing utensils.

Do I have to attend classes in order to take the HSE exams?

No. You can register (the fee is currently $65) to take the HSE exams right away; however, taking the GAIN and HSE practice tests during the initial week will help you determine how ready you are, and will actually help predict your scores! You can bypass taking the classes if your scores indicate you are now ready. Contact Testing Services for additional test registration information.

Does TMCC offer classes in HSE preparation?

HSE preparation classes are offered year round at the TMCC Meadowood Center.

The classes are unique in that each session is tailored to meet the specific needs of the students enrolled in that session. This is determined through a GAIN pre-test and a HSE practice test.

GAIN and the HSE Practice Test series are administered after orientation and prior to class registration.

Classes are scheduled in 10- to 11-week blocks and usually have 25-40 students enrolled. In addition, intensive boot camp sessions are run periodically.

How much does it cost to take the practice HSE exams and how much do classes cost?

Students pay the minimal fee of $30 which covers GAIN and HSE Practice Tests and the entire HSE Preparation Program, including all materials, classes and graduation.

Students must also pay to take the actual exam.

How will I know if the HSE prep classes are right for me at this time?

If you have a strong desire to pass the HSE exam, in as short a time as possible, and are committed to making that happen, then this is class is for you.

Your CASAS reading and math scores need to be 235 and 220 respectively. Your practice-HSE exams need to be at least 400 each (for all five areas). If your scores are below these guidelines, you will need to strengthen those areas before beginning HSE preparation. TMCC offers individual tutoring and small group classes in reading, writing and math in preparation for HSE study. These classes are offered through Adult Basic Education and also English as a Second Language classes.

To help you chart the best course of academic action, schedule an appointment with a Student Placement Advisor.

How will the HSE prep classes help me?

The classes are tailored to address your strengths and weaknesses. Areas you need to improve on will be addressed and areas you've already mastered will be skipped.

May I continue with the prep classes as long as I need to prepare for the HSE exams?

Yes, if you are still not ready to take and pass the HSE exams at the end of the 10- to 11-week studying sessions, and you have met the terms of your contract, you will be given preferential registration privileges for each subsequent session.

What happens if I don't pass the HSE exams?

You have three chances each year to pass each section of the exams. You are not required to retake any of the sections you passed, just those in which you need to improve your scores. You are welcome to return to class and study those sections.

What is required of me when attending the HSE prep classes?

We ask that you make a strong commitment to attain your HSE as quickly as possible, and you will need to sign a contract to that effect. You will need to agree to attend all classes of the session and take the pre- and post-assessments. The amount of time it will take you to be ready to pass the HSE exam will depend on the balance between your program entrance scores and amount of time you spend studying the material each week.

When are the HSE classes offered?

Classes meet Monday through Thursday, and are offered mornings, afternoons, and evenings. All classes meet at the TMCC Meadowood Center, 5270 Neil Road, Reno.