To participate in the GED Preparation Program, you must attend a 30-minute orientation. During this introductory meeting, you will find out about the program, expectations, transition pathways and information regarding the official GED exam.
Following the orientation, you will be required to take assessments in language arts and math. These assessments will determine placement in one of our multi-leveled GED courses.
Are you ready to enroll in this program?
- Do you have sufficient time and energy to add GED course work to your life?
- Will your work hours accommodate your class sessions?
- Do you have reliable childcare and transportation?
- Do you have the basic skills to succeed? GED textbooks and instruction focus on high school level material; therefore, you should feel comfortable reading at a minimum of an eighth grade level. (Quick check: if you can read the Reno Gazette-Journal with ease, then you will you'll probably be able to read the GED material). If you or someone you know is not reading at a high school level, consider our pre-GED or literacy program.
- If English is not your native language and you know that your skills are not at the high school level, consider one of our English as a Second Language classes. Note: All GED classes are conducted in English at the high school proficient level. (Quick check: If you can follow your favorite English-language television program without much problem, then you will probably understand the English in these classes.)
- You must take pre-tests in reading and math so that your specific strengths and weaknesses can be identified. Should you not score high enough on these assessments, one of our placement advisers will recommend appropriate courses of action. ABE offers one-on-one tutoring in reading, writing and math at every level for adults.
GED preparation program enrollment checklist
We are excited that you are interested in pursuing your GED with us! Please complete the necessary steps below. If you would like to talk with our helpful staff, please contact us. We want you to know that we are here to help every step of the way.
- Read the information on these web pages.
- Attend an orientation.
Orientations are held regularly at TMCC's Meadowood Center, 5270 Neil Road in Reno. For details, call 775-829-9044.
- Arrange your work schedule to accommodate your classroom hours.
- Arrange for childcare and back-up child care.
- Arrange for transportation.
- Schedule and take your GED practice tests and GAIN assessments.
- Pay $30 fee.
- Begin your GED preparation classes!