The Northern Nevada Fire and Rescue Academy
How to Apply
Submit an academy application by June 15 to the fire science technology office. You must also be enrolled at TMCC. This may be done on-line for a $10.00 one-time application fee.
- Application deadline date for fall semester is June 15. Application deadline date for spring semester is October 15.
- Students will be notified of academy start dates within their acceptance letter. Start dates are usually the week prior to the start of the regular academic semester.
Orientation: An academy orientation is mandatory. Students will be notified within acceptance letter and is before regular classes begin.
Letters/emails detailing testing dates and requirements will be sent to you in approximately two weeks of the application deadline.
The Northern Nevada Fire and Rescue Academy at TMCC is designed to prepare the student for an entry-level position in municipal firefighting. Upon completion the student will be fully certified to NFPA and Nevada Standards for Firefighter I and II (Firefighter II upon successful completion of an internship).
The academy is governed by the fire technology advisory board and administered by the academy staff. The academy is under the general direction and rules of the board of regents and the administration of Truckee Meadows Community College. Upon completion of the academy process, the student will receive 22 credits that can be applied toward an associate of applied science degree in fire technology.
The Fire Academy is currently offered in one format:
- Prepare the student for a career in the fire service by giving the student the required academic and practical skills to function as a firefighter.
- Develop the student's self-confidence and professional demeanor to enhance the student's ability to comport in the fire service.
- Start the student on a track toward a college degree in fire technology.
Upon completion the student will have met or exceeded all national and state standards for the following certifications. The student must complete an internship and complete an NFPA physical to receive full NFPA Firefighter I and II certification.
- NFPA Fire Fighter I
- NFPA Fire Fighter II
- Hazardous Material First Responder, Operational/Awareness
- Vehicle Extrication Operational
- Basic Wildland Fire Fighter, S-110, 130, 190, 134, L-180
- Incident Command ICS 100/200
- NFA, Fire Fighter Safety and Survival
- FT 101 - Introduction to Fire Fighting or,
- FT 102 - Entry Level Fire Fighting
- Current EMT - Basic (NREMT or State of Nevada)
- English 101: Composition 1*
- Math 95: Elementary Algebra or higher*
* An Academic Placement Exam (ACCUPLACER) can be taken to place into this class or a higher level class.
Note: Due to the high mental and physical demand of this career some accommodations that can be made in the classroom may not transfer to employment. Qualified, self-identified students with documented disabilities have the right to free accommodations to ensure equal access to educational opportunities at Truckee Meadows Community College. For assistance, contact TMCC's Disability Resource Center.
TMCC is an EEO/AA (equal opportunity/affirmative action) institution and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin or sexual orientation in the programs or activities which it operates.