Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Financial Aid's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Subcategory:

GeneralBack to Top

How do I apply for financial aid?

Apply using the online FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) using your computer or one of TMCC's student computer kiosks located on the Dandini Campus.

Or, if you prefer, go to the Financial Aid Office in room 315 of the Red Mountain Building.

When you fill out this application, you will need to provide your tax information; if you are under 24 years of age and do not meet the criteria for independent status, you will also need your parents' tax information.

How do I find my financial aid award?

Log in to MyTMCC. Click on "Student Center". You can find your financial aid award by reviewing your award letter in the communication center. You can also find what financial aid documents you are missing by reviewing your MyTMCC "To Do List".

How do I find out about scholarships?

For information about financial aid and scholarships:

How do I get a job as a student worker on campus?

Contact the Financial Aid, Scholarships and Employment Office or view the online student job board for current postings.

How do I set-up direct deposit for my financial aid or refund?

Set up your Direct Deposit online:

  1. Log in to your Student Center in MyTMCC.
  2. Scroll down to the "Finances" section.
  3. Click on "Enroll in Direct Deposit" (link is on the left side).
  4. Click on "Add Account".
  5. Enter your bank account information (including routing number).
  6. Once all information is entered and correct, click "Save".

How does a family decide who should be counted in the household size?

Anyone in the immediate family who receives more than 50 percent of their support from a dependent student's parents or an independent student and spouse may be counted in the household size, even if that person does not reside in the house, as in the case of a sibling who is over 24-years-old but still in college and receiving the majority of their support from parents. Siblings who are dependent as of the date you apply for aid are also included, regardless of whether they receive at least 50 percent of their support from their parents. Any other person who resides in the household and receives more than 50 percent support from the parents may also be counted, such as an aunt or cousin, so long as the support is expected to continue from July 1, through June 30, of the current academic year. An unborn child who will be born during the award year may also be counted in the household size.

Household size and tax exemptions are not necessarily the same. Exemptions look at the previous year or tax year and household size refers to the school year for which the student is applying for aid.

How many hours per week can you work and still be successful in school?

Statistics gathered nationally show that students who work 20 hours per week or less on-campus do much better than students who work more.

I am entering financial information for my mother and stepfather on the form. Should I give my father's Social Security Number (SSN) and last name, or my stepfather's information?

You should provide the SSN and last name of the same person or people for whom you are reporting financial information. In this case, provide the SSNs and names of your mother and stepfather.

If I am in the National Guard or an Active Duty military member, am I considered a veteran for purposes of filling out the FAFSA?

If you were a member of the National Guard or were a Reservist who was called to Active Duty for other than training purposes and can verify that your release from Active Duty was other than dishonorable, you are considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes.

If you are on Active Duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard, but will be a veteran by June 30 of the year you are applying for aid, and can verify that your release from Active Duty as other than dishonorable, you are considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes. If your Active Duty will continue past June 30, however, you are not considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes.

My brother is 28-years-old and still lives with us. Do we count him in the number in my parents' household?

Include your brother if he receives more than half his support from your parents and will continue to receive more than half his support from July 1, through June 30, of the current academic year.

My parents separated four months ago. I live with my mother. My parents filed a joint tax return and claimed me as an exemption. Do I report both their incomes or just my mother's information?

Report only your mother's income and asset information because you lived with her the most during the past 12 months. Use a W-2 Form or other record(s) that show her share of the income reported and taxes paid on the tax return.

What do I have to do to qualify for financial aid?

The qualification process is lengthy. In order to determine if someone is eligible, they need to apply.

What do I need to begin using my Millennium Scholarship at TMCC?

In order to begin using your Millennium Scholarship at TMCC, first you need to submit the Acknowledgment of Award form to the Millennium Office. When you Apply for Admission to TMCC, you must declare a major. You can also declare a major by submitting the Degree/Emphasis Change Form. Once you sign up for classes you are automatically awarded if eligible. You may check your award status via MyTMCC. Once logged into MyTMCC, use the "Financial Aid Offer Letter" button to review your award status. Typically, it would take about a week to update the Millennium information on MyTMCC.

What is a Pell grant?

A Pell grant is a federal grant for education that does not need to be paid back. You must qualify for a Pell grant, which is based upon your income.

What is ability to benefit with regards to financial aid?

The U.S. Department of Education has identified a list of commonly administered standardized tests any one of which an individual who is a non-high school graduate can take to demonstrate that he or she has the intellectual ability to benefit from a college education. Each test has a pre-determined passing score. TMCC uses only the ACCUPLACER test to prove ability to benefit.

What is the difference between Student Employment and Job Prep?

Student Employment offers part-time jobs that help students gain skills and experience while attending college. These are usually not career oriented positions. The Job Prep service is focused on finding positions for students once they graduate. The service also offers help with resumes and interview techniques.

What is TMCC's FAFSA school code?

TMCC's school code is 010363.

What kind of financial aid is available?

Grants, scholarships, student employment and loans are available at TMCC.

When is my financial aid going to be disbursed into my account?

Log in to MyTMCC. Click on "Student Center". Under the Finances section, click "View Financial Aid" and then select the year to view estimated disbursement dates.

When should I apply for financial aid?

You should apply as soon as possible after January 1 each year. You should apply and complete your file by July 1 for fall term, December 1 for spring term, and April 15 for summer term to ensure that you receive aid (if you are eligible) in time to pay your fees. If you complete your file after these dates, you will be expected to pay your own fees and will be reimbursed if you are eligible.

Who do I contact for National Guard waivers, GI Bill questions, Nevada pre-paid tuition, vocational rehab or third-party payments?

For National Guard waivers, Nevada pre-paid tuition, vocational rehab or third-party payments: contact TMCC's Accounting Services.

For GI Bill questions: contact the TMCC Financial Aid office.

Who qualifies to be counted in the number of people enrolled in college?

Any person who is counted in the household and will be attending any term of the academic year at least half time. Do not, however, count your parents in the number in college. The enrolled family member must attend an eligible program at an eligible institution. You (the student) need not be enrolled half time, however, to be counted in the number in college. To be counted in the number in college, the person must also be working toward a degree or certificate leading to a recognized education credential at a post-secondary school that is eligible to participate in federal student aid programs.

Why do I have to have a high school diploma for financial aid?

The Department of Education and the federal government require that each student who receives financial aid have a high school diploma or the equivalent.

Why do I need a copy of my tax returns for financial aid?

p>Approximately 33 percent of all financial aid applicants are selected for verification. Applicants are required to furnish income information on the FAFSA application.

Will financial aid cover the Skills Center?

TMCC Financial Aid does not cover the cost of the Skills Center. The student is responsible for paying for the skills center from their own funding.

What happens if I drop a class with regards to financial aid?

Dropping a class will impact your eligibility if you drop below the minimum number of credits for TMCC. For example, at TMCC the minimum enrollment level is 6 credits. If you have questions about your specific situation or you're a co-enrolled student, please contact us.

What if I add a class after I receive my financial aid money?

Contact us to let us know about your enrollment change.

Do I have to pay back the financial aid I receive?

  • Loans always need to be paid back.
  • Pell Grant monies need to be paid back if they are awarded and the student does not attend classes.
  • Grants do not need to be paid back.

How can I find out about Veteran's Benefits or the Veteran's Work Study program?

Visit the Veterans' Educational Benefits website for information on how to use your veterans' benefits.

Application DeadlineBack to Top

Does TMCC have an application deadline?

TMCC does not have an application deadline for the Fall 2014 term. We encourage students to apply as early as possible to ensure they can complete the needed Steps to Enroll and get their preferred classes. In addition, we want you to be successful! Research shows students who apply well in advance of the first class meeting have much better success rates.

Millennium ScholarshipBack to Top

Can I use the Millennium Scholarship at two schools during one semester?

This is a slightly complicated question. The Millennium Scholarship has a limitation of being able to fund only twelve credits per semester as well as a minimum number of credits to be eligible at each individual institution. For example, you could take 6 credits at one community college and 6 credits at another community college concurrently and receive Millennium from both schools. In this situation you have met the minimum credit eligibility requirements at both institutions, and you have not exceeded the twelve credit maximum semester limitation. In contrast, if you were enrolled in 6 credits at a community college and 6 credits at a university, you would only be funded at the community college because the minimum requirements for a university are that you be enrolled in twelve credits. In specific circumstances, it may be appropriate to request funding from a community college and a university.

For details, visit the Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship Program.

Can I use the Millennium Scholarship for late start courses?

Yes. The Millennium scholarship can be used for late start courses as long as they are not remedial (courses numbered below 100) or workforce development courses. However, depending upon when you register, your award may need to be increased after it is initially made. If you sign up for a late start class after the semester has begun, please contact our office at 775-673-7072 and ask for the Millennium Coordinator in order to avoid delays in the processing of the Millennium scholarship.

Can I use the Millennium Scholarship for online courses?

Yes, the Millennium Scholarship can be used for online courses with the exception of workforce development and continuing education courses and remedial courses (courses numbered below 100). Remember that you still must enroll in at least 6 credits in order to use the Millennium Scholarship. If you have questions please contact us.

Can I use the Millennium Scholarship for summer classes?

Yes, you can use the scholarship for summer classes. You must have either received the Millennium Scholarship at an eligible institution the spring prior, or are already enrolled in the minimum number of credits required for the institution for the following term. You must also be in a declared major at TMCC for the summer term. The summer Millennium funding is set up as a reimbursement. Therefore, you would need to pay for your classes, and we will reimburse you Millennium funding for the classes you complete, up to 12. The reimbursement check is refunded to you in October after all the fall disbursements are done.

Does the Millennium Scholarship cover books and supplies?

The Millennium Scholarship covers $40.00 per credit at TMCC, which does not cover tuition and fees in full. The current TMCC tuition and fees schedule is available online. If another funding source pays your tuition at TMCC, the Millennium Scholarship may be used to pay for other educational expenses. In this case, you would receive a refund from TMCC for the value of your Millennium Scholarship award.

Does the Millennium Scholarship pay for every course?

No. The Millennium Scholarship will not cover workforce development and continuing education courses or remedial courses (courses numbered below 100). If you have questions regarding a specific course, please contact us.

How can I check the status of my Millennium Scholarship?

All you have to do is go to the scholarship status page on the Millennium Scholarship website and enter your Millennium Scholarship ID number and high school graduation year.

How do I regain my eligibility for the Millennium Scholarship?

In order to regain eligibility you must complete a semester without receiving Millennium Scholarship funding, and still complete the minimum requirements you would have needed to maintain your eligibility. You are not required to do this during the semester directly after you lose eligibility. However, the more quickly you regain eligibility, the more time you will have to use the scholarship before it expires. You must be degree seeking while regaining your eligibility.

How much money do I receive with a Millennium Scholarship?

At TMCC you are eligible for $40.00 per credit up to 12 credits. So, if you attend full time, 12 or more eligible credits, you would receive $480.00 for the semester. Please note, the Millennium Scholarship will not pay for workforce development and continuing education courses or remedial courses (courses numbered below 100).

What are the requirements to maintain my eligibility for the Millennium Scholarship?

At TMCC you need to complete at least 6 credits with the GPA that is required for your high school graduating class. If you graduated high school prior to 2003, you must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. If you graduated 2003 or later, you must maintain a 2.6 semester GPA until the semester you complete 30 credits, at which time you need to earn a 2.75.

What do I do if I don't want to use my Millennium Scholarship at TMCC?

Before scholarship funds are applied to your student account for the semester, you need to let us know not to give you money.

Just stop by the Financial Aid Office in Red Mountain 315C on the Dandini Campus. We ask that you provide a signed statement for our records saying that you would like us to withhold your funding.

What happens if I take a semester off with regards to the Millennium Scholarship?

Taking a semester off will not negatively impact your Millennium Scholarship, but you do have a limited time to use the scholarship. The expiration date of your scholarship is a fixed date, and you can check it on the scholarship status page of the Millennium Scholarship Web site.

When do I get my Millennium Scholarship money?

TMCC will generally apply Millennium Scholarship funds to your student account in mid July for the fall semester and mid January for the spring semester, provided you are enrolled. If no payment has been made by the fee payment deadline, then it is your responsibility to make a payment to ensure your registration is not canceled for non-payment. If you add or drop classes, adjustments to your Millennium award will be made automatically through the end of the 50% refund period. If you add a late-start class after that date and have not already received the maximum award for the semester, please contact us.