Frequently Asked Questions

College News

Nursing Program Expanding in 2015

Maxine S. Jacobs Nursing Program will offer new degree and move into enlarged, remodeled facility.

Legacy Event Honors Students and Donors

TMCC Foundation hosts a festive dinner, creating connections for scholars and their benefactors.

Calendar of Events

TMCC Fall 2014 Resource Fair

Wednesday, October 22
Student Center, Dandini Campus

Free Student Workshop: Understanding Student Loans

Wednesday, October 22
RDMT 412, Dandini Campus

TMCC Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs by Department/Program

Popular FAQs

Listed below are some of our more popular Frequently Asked Questions. If you can't find what you are looking for, please use the drop down list above to view FAQs by department or program. Once a topic is selected from the list, you will be taken to that department's FAQ page.

Admission and RegistrationBack to Top

How do I apply for admission at TMCC?

The TMCC Admissions and Records office has an online application form and many other resources to help you get started. Please review the information available on our Steps to Enroll web page, or feel free to contact us.

Does TMCC have an application deadline?

TMCC does not have an application deadline for the Fall 2014 term. We encourage students to apply as early as possible to ensure they can complete the needed Steps to Enroll and get their preferred classes. In addition, we want you to be successful! Research shows students who apply well in advance of the first class meeting have much better success rates.

How do I pay for my classes?

There are three ways to pay for your TMCC classes:


  1. Log onto MyTMCC and view your Student Center.
  2. Scroll down to the "Finances" section.
  3. Under the "Account Summary" box, click on the link "make a payment".
  4. From there you are able to enter the amount you want to pay. You can choose to pay by credit card or electronic check.

In Person

The Accounting Services Cashier’s Office accepts payments Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the Dandini campus in the Red Mountain Building, room 318. We accept credit cards (before 4 p.m.), cash, check and money orders.

By Mail

Payments can be mailed to the TMCC Accounting Services Cashier’s Office (7000 Dandini Blvd., RDMT 318, Reno, Nevada 89512-3999) in the form of check or money order. Make checks payable to "Board of Regents" and include your student ID number on the check.

Why do I have to attend an On Track to Graduate workshop before I can register for second semester?

Degree-seeking students are required to attend an On Track to Graduate workshop before registering for second semester courses.

On Track is a group advising service designed to introduce you to all the advisement tools available on our website and through your MyTMCC student center. Understanding these tools will empower you to make informed decisions about how to meet your educational goals in an enjoyable and efficient manner.  

After you have successfully completed the workshop, the enrollment hold will be removed.

When are my due dates for the charges on my account?

You can find this information online:

  1. Log in to your Student Center in MyTMCC.
  2. Under the "Finances" section, select "Other Financial" from the dropdown menu.
  3. Choose "Charges Due" and click on the double arrows (>>)

I put classes in MyTMCC's shopping cart. How do I complete the registration process?

To complete your registration:

  1. Log in to MyTMCC
  2. Select the 'Student Center' link
  3. Select your shopping cart
  4. Select the classes you wish to enroll in by checking the box next to the class
  5. Click the 'Enroll' button
  6. Click the 'Finish Enrolling' button to complete the process
  7. Use the delete button to remove classes that you are not planning to enroll in.

Student Support has a registration tutorial to assist you in registering for your classes.

When will I receive my refund if I dropped my class during the refund period?

Refunds for dropped classes are issued after the third week of instruction.

How do I get a copy of my HSE (GED) transcript?

Diploma Sender will mail out transcripts for all HSE (formerly GED) transcripts in the State of Nevada.

The first transcript is free of charge; additional transcripts and/or verifications may be obtained for a fee.

Do I need a high school diploma or HSE (GED) to attend TMCC?

No, a high school diploma or HSE (formerly GED) is not required to attend TMCC, unless you are applying for special admission or wish to declare a degree program.

Transfer and AdvisementBack to Top

How do I transfer courses from another college to TMCC?

Students must request official transcripts from their previously attended institution to be sent to TMCC Admissions & Records.

In order to have the transcript evaluated, a student must be admitted as a degree or certificate seeking student at TMCC and submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form to Admissions & Records.

Do transfer students need to complete the Steps to Enroll for new, degree-seeking students?

Transfer students have Steps to Enroll as well, but do not need to follow the same requirements as new, degree-seeking students do.

All newly-admitted students have access to Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) online. SOAR will introduce you to valuable information regarding TMCC.

How can I obtain a TMCC transcript?

Please go the National Student Clearinghouse to request official transcripts. Students are charged a fee to request an official transcript. Current students are still able to view and print out unofficial transcripts using MyTMCC.

Financial AidBack to Top

How do I apply for financial aid?

Apply using the online FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) using your computer or one of TMCC's student computer kiosks located on the Dandini Campus.

Or, if you prefer, go to the Financial Aid Office in room 315 of the Red Mountain Building.

When you fill out this application, you will need to provide your tax information; if you are under 24 years of age and do not meet the criteria for independent status, you will also need your parents' tax information.

How do I find my financial aid award?

Log in to MyTMCC. Click on "Student Center". You can find your financial aid award by reviewing your award letter in the communication center. You can also find what financial aid documents you are missing by reviewing your MyTMCC "To Do List".

How do I find out about scholarships?

For information about financial aid and scholarships:

How do I set-up direct deposit for my financial aid or refund?

Set up your Direct Deposit online:

  1. Log in to your Student Center in MyTMCC.
  2. Scroll down to the "Finances" section.
  3. Click on "Enroll in Direct Deposit" (link is on the left side).
  4. Click on "Add Account".
  5. Enter your bank account information (including routing number).
  6. Once all information is entered and correct, click "Save".

When will I receive my financial aid refund?

Refunds are usually processed once a week, after financial aid funds have been applied to your student account, and only if funds remain available for a refund.

Testing Back to Top

How do I get a copy of my ACCUPLACER / placement scores?

You can obtain a copy of you placement scores by logging in to MyTMCC. Your scores can be found in the "other academic" drop down menu in the Academics Section of the Student Center. You can also visit the TMCC Testing Services department and paying the $10 transcript fee. You will need your placement scores in order to register for your new student advisement workshop.

What are the score placement results of the CAPE exam?

The placement scores are different for each language. See below:

CourseCAPE Placement Cut-off
SPAN 112 179-319
SPAN 211 320-346
SPAN 212 347+
FREN 112 260-366
FREN 211 337-401
FREN 212 402+
GER 112 292-382
GER 211 383-491
GER 212 492+
RUS 112 200-399
RUS 211 400-599
RUS 212 600+
* CHIN 1st year I 0-199
* CHIN 1st year II 200-399
* CHIN 2nd year I 400-599

* NOTE: currently TMCC does not offer Chinese, therefore the placement cutoffs shown with ( * ) are only guidelines and do not indicate placement into any TMCC foreign language courses.

What do I need to do before I take a test in the Testing Center?

Individuals who wish to take the ACCUPLACER must first complete the Application for Admission to Truckee Meadows Community College and receive their student identification number, prior to testing

For all other exams, please see our Schedule an Exam page for availability, dates and times tests will be offered.

What is the ACCUPLACER exam?

Please visit the ACCUPLACER website for more information about this exam.

What types of tests do I need to take before registering for college credit classes at TMCC?

Academic Placement Testing (ACCUPLACER) is a required enrollment step for new, degree-seeking students.

All students are encouraged to take this test to ensure that, with the help of an Academic Advisor, they register for the correct classes. The ACCUPLACER placement test is available to all current TMCC students and who provide valid government-issued photo identification.

ACCUPLACER is a pre-requisite for placement into TMCC English and math classes. ACT or SAT scores that are less than two years old, or grades from pre-requisite classes can be used instead.

Are special testing arrangements available for students with disabilities?

Students who need accommodations must have ADA documentation and make prior arrangements with the Disability Resource Center.

GeneralBack to Top

Does TMCC offer campus tours?

Unfortunately we are unable to provide in-person tours at this time. We encourage you to visit our online tour to become familiar with our campus. If you have any questions about TMCC, please contact us.

Does TMCC offer student health insurance?

No, not at this time; however, enrolled students may opt for voluntary health insurance.

Students should determine which plan best meets their personal needs, since each plan has significant differences in coverage, options, and premium amounts. Students are encouraged to review their options carefully before purchasing any insurance plan.

Financial Aid Impact: If the premium amount of a student's insurance exceeds the amount that is currently included in that student's financial aid package, the student may request an increase in their budget by providing the TMCC Financial Aid office with verification of payment.

Students may consider one of the voluntary plans listed below, or seek other options elsewhere. Students submit payments directly to the selected vendor; payment of insurance premiums is not processed through TMCC.

Note: TMCC does NOT endorse these companies, but provides the information as a courtesy to students.

Does TMCC offer tutoring services?

Tutoring is offered at the TMCC Tutoring and Learning Center.

How can I contact my professor or part-time instructor?

Try the online faculty and staff directory first, or call TMCC's main information number at 775-673-7000.

Part-time instructors do not have assigned offices, although messages can be dropped off in the Red Mountain Building, room 315, or left at the main information phone number at 775-673-7000.

How do I contact the TMCC Police Department?

For emergencies, dial 911.

Non-emergency crime reports should be made to the TMCC Police Department by calling 775-674-7900. To report a crime anonymously, contact Secret Witness at 775-322-4900.

Other information can be found on the TMCC Police Department Web page.

How can I find out about Veteran's Benefits or the Veteran's Work Study program?

Visit the Veterans' Educational Benefits website for information on how to use your veterans' benefits.

How do I find out my final grades?

Access your grades through MyTMCC. Grades are available approximately one week after the end of the semester. 

If you need a printed copy of the grades, you can use MyTMCC to print an unofficial copy of your transcript that will show all your classes and grades, including previous terms.

How do I formally declare a major?

Visit the Steps to Graduate web page or contact Academic Advisement for information.

How do I get a job as a student worker on campus?

Contact the Financial Aid, Scholarships and Employment Office or view the online student job board for current postings.

How do I join the TMCC Fitness Center?

Please visit the TMCC Fitness Center's Web page for complete information on eligibility and fees.

What books do I need for my classes?

The TMCC Bookstore in the Red Mountain Building has all the textbooks sorted by class. Refer to the class schedule for the bookstore's hours of operation or call 775-673-7172.

When can I use the computer labs?

Visit the computer labs hours Web page.

What should I do if my online class is experiencing technical difficulty?

When dealing with technology there may be problems. Please plan ahead. If you are having a problem with the course material contact your instructor. Contact information for your instructor will be listed in the syllabus. If you are having a technical problem, please contact TMCC's WebCollege for assistance.

Do I have to pay for parking at TMCC?

Parking is free at all TMCC campuses and educational centers. No permits are required.