Emergency Medical Technician - Intermediate/Enhanced Course (112B)
EMT-Intermediate/85 (EMS 112B) is for students who want to enhance their emergency medical career at an advanced level of practice while working for a Nevada state-permitted advanced life support agency or work as part of the pre-hospital care team, working along-side a paramedic.
The course curriculum is based on the EMT-Intermediate/99 DOT objectives. Course content includes: the foundation of an EMT-I, overview of human anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, venous access and medication administration, history taking and documentation, cardiovascular emergencies, other medical emergencies, traumatic emergencies, pediatrics and geriatrics, as well as advanced ambulance operations
The student is responsible for an additional 16 hours of clinical rotations required in the local emergency departments and 8 hours of ride along with an advanced life support ambulance or the fire department.
At successful course completion, students will be able to perform the following skills in addition to previous EMT-Basic skills and will be eligible to take the National Registry Exam:
- Advanced Airway Management including endotracheal intubation and use of a dual lumen device
- Advanced recognition and care for medical and trauma emergencies
- Cardiovascular emergencies with basic rhythm recognition
- Medication administration and venous access
Potential employers include: fire departments, ambulance companies, and mines.
Attendance Policy: We have a strict attendance policy in accordance with State of Nevada and DOT standards in which students are not allowed to miss more than 8 hours of class. Any students missing more than the allotted time will be not allowed to continue on and will be withdrawn from the class.
Grading Policy: A=100% - 93% B= 92% – 84% C= 83% - 75% D=74% - 70% F=69% and Below
Students MUST have a 75% cumulative average to be able to take the final. If a student earns less than a 75%, they will not be able to take the class final.
Pre-requisites: EMS 108B, Current State of Nevada EMT-Basic certification, and current BLS CPR card
This class requires an entrance examination. Please call 775-789-5511 for the next scheduled examination.
Prior to taking the test to enroll in class, you must provide us with proof of the following:
- Current State of Nevada EMT-Basic certification
- Current CPR AHA Healthcare provider card or Red Cross Professional Rescuer card
- 18 years of age
- Health insurance
- Shot records including proof of:
- Either a 2-step Tuberculosis test or an annual TB Test (only if you have had the 2-step TB before) within the last year
- Hepatitis B immunizations (3 shot series, at least the first 2 prior to registration or appropriate titer levels)
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR) (if born after 1957)
- Tetanus (within the last 10 years)