EMS-Refresher Course (109B)
Emergency Medical Technician Refresher Course is offered for individuals who wish to recertify their EMT-Basic or EMT-Intermediate certification.
The course content is a review of the EMT-Basic curriculum including: the well-being and legal standpoint of being in an EMT, an overview of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, patient assessment, basic life support in relation to cardiac arrest, trauma, and other medical emergencies, as well as ambulance operations, and weapons of mass destruction.
The course is 28 hours in length, and includes BLS Healthcare CPR renewal. All EMT's MUST submit a copy of their current Health Care Provider CPR Card (American Heart Association), or Professional Rescuer CPR (American Red Cross) to the State EMS office to be eligible for certification renewal. At the conclusion of this course, students will have a skills evaluation that will be fulfilled at the end of the week or on a designated day, if enrolled in the online refresher.
EMT-Intermediates will have a separate day to complete the advanced skills that are required to perform the following:
- Scene size-up
- Airway management including oxygen administration and use of a bag-valve mask
- Patient assessments including initial and a focused history for medical and trauma patients
- Recognition and care for medical and trauma emergencies
- Basic life support with use of an AED
Attendance Policy: Students cannot miss more than 4 hours of class time. If a student misses the 4 hours, they must submit the appropriate make up work as assigned prior to class completion.
Grading Policy: A=100% - 93% B= 92% – 84% C= 83% - 75% D=74% - 70% F=69% and Below
Students MUST have a 75% cumulative average to be able to complete the course.
Pre-requisites: You must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Current State of Nevada EMT-B/EMT-I certification
- Current National Registry EMT-B/EMT-I certification
- Expired EMT-B/EMT-I certification no more than two years