Equity and Inclusion Office
The Equity and Inclusion office at Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) monitors and advocates for TMCC's commitment to equity and affirmative action; for compliance with non-discrimination laws, rules, regulations, guidelines and policies; and for TMCC's efforts to sustain a diverse, inclusive community.
The office is committed to achieving a positive, continuing and vigorous non-discrimination and compliance program by developing, planning, implementing and directing a college-wide affirmative action plan and promoting equity and inclusion initiatives.
In order to achieve this program, the Equity and Inclusion office pledges to address, work with and uphold the following goals and commitments:
- To build and maintain a non-discriminatory environment in all facets of TMCC's programs as they relate to all members at TMCC including faculty, staff and students;
- To develop a diverse workforce, through outreach and affirmative action efforts, that reflects a demographic distribution in the service area, with regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability,veteran status and age;
- To coordinate with and assist TMCC's Human Resources office in developing policies and procedures that will ensure diversified recruitment for the hiring of faculty, staff and professionals;
- To ensure that all recruitment, hiring and personnel transactions are conducted in conformity with federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations as they apply to the following: equal employment opportunity; Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Nevada Revised Statues (NRS); Nevada Administrative Code (NAC); Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE); the Nevada Faculty Alliance (NFA) and other applicable authorities;
- To work with TMCC's faculty and staff to facilitate the integration of diversity content into the curricula;
- To provide leadership and direction in advocating, facilitating, supporting and coordinating the development and delivery of college-wide programs that encompass academic and non-academic initiatives and co-curricular programs on issues of access, equity and inclusion initiatives;
- To provide support to TMCC's enrollment management, recruitment and retention support efforts;
- To provide direction in establishing and maintaining a clearinghouse of information and resources on issues of access, equity and inclusion and services to faculty, staff and students;
- To conduct equal employment opportunity training, including the prevention of sexual harassment, for the purpose of creating a full and meaningful understanding of applicable laws and that discrimination at any level will not be tolerated;
- To fully and objectively investigate complaints of discrimination filed by aggrieved faculty and staff;
- To represent TMCC in the community at large in promoting and disseminating TMCC's commitment to equal opportunity, equity and inclusion at all levels of operations.
The Equity and Inclusion office operates in support of the core missions and values of Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) and is responsible for creating the vision and developing the overall diversity strategy for the college based upon the college's strategic directions.
The Equity and Inclusion office provides guidance and counsel to the leadership of the constituent groups of faculty, staff, students, administrators and external partners. The areas of focus for the office include student equity, faculty recruitment and retention, curriculum, student cultural diversity center, compliance and community engagement. In all of these efforts, TMCC strives to provide an inclusive environment where individuals from diverse backgrounds are welcomed.
The Equity and Inclusion office seeks to create an environment whereby the college responds to meet the needs of a diverse college community for both internal and external constituent groups, and strives to provide a climate of inclusiveness without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, Veteran status or marital status. It also maintains a work and learning environment with a policy of zero tolerance for sexual harassment or discrimination and provides training for all administrators, faculty and staff in an effort to establish and maintain such an environment.
TMCC is an EEO/AA (equal employment opportunity/affirmative action) institution and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, color, religion, physical or mental disability, creed, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or gender expression in the programs or activities which it operates. All operating policies of the college pertaining to, but not limited to, the instructional programs, student services programs, learning resources services and the employment of all professional, classified and student employees direct such nondiscrimination.
Any faculty, staff, student, or guest who believes they have experienced or witnessed sexual harassment or discrimination at TMCC, please report it to our office immediately.
Please contact us for more information on our initiatives and activities.
Equity and Inclusion Office
Truckee Meadows Community College
7000 Dandini Boulevard, RDMT 208
Reno, Nevada 89512-3999
Telephone: 775-673-7123 or Fax: 775-673-8249
Email: Send A Message!