Dental Hygiene Admissions Procedures
Important: As of fall 2012 dental hygiene applicants will be limited to repeating program prerequisite courses (sciences) once. This means students will take the course for the first time,and may repeat the same course once. Proof will be required with the application in the form of transcripts or DARS.
This is a limited entry program of study. Applications are available from the dental hygiene department each year in January and due back in February for admission the following fall. Criteria for selection include experience in the field, GPA of general education requirements, prerequisite science GPA, and other criteria established by the screening committee. A current (within 2 years prior to application) DH ACCUPLACER score has been added to the criteria for selection. A fee of $20.00 applies to take the DH ACCUPLACER Exam for prospective Candidates. The ACCUPLACER can be taken more than once, yet has a two week waiting period between attempts.
Be sure to identify yourself as a prospective dental hygiene student on-line or to the exam proctor.
The Observation Form may be completed at any time before application and must accompany the application, however be sure to check for any changes in the observation requirements prior to applying.
Students accepted will be required to show proof of CPR certification, compliance with immunization policy, proof of negative TB test/chest x-ray, prior to the start of fall courses. A physician, eye, and dental exam must also be completed.
All states require that dental hygienists be licensed. In addition to successfully completing the course of study in an accredited dental hygiene program and passing the written National Board Dental Hygiene Examination, the Nevada Dental Practice Act (NRS 631.290) requires that candidates for licensure be of good moral character and be citizens of the U.S. or lawfully entitled to remain and work in the U.S. Prospective students are advised that if they have felony or misdemeanor convictions or have a history of substance abuse or infectious disease that this may preclude subsequent licensure as a dental hygienist in Nevada (NAC 631.050)
Minimum Admission Requirements For All TMCC Dental Hygiene Applicants
- All applicants will be considered without regard to race, creed, national origin, age, or gender. Qualified disabled persons who are capable of meeting the academic and functional requirements essential to participation in the program will receive equal consideration.
- Must have completed high school or substitute program such as GED.
- Must meet TMCC general college entrance requirements.
- Must have taken the TMCC Dental Hygiene Accuplacer test within two years of application.
- Must have fulfilled a minimum of 8 hours of dental office observation, which includes observing the roles of the dentist, the dental hygienist, dental assistant, and receptionist.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale in both required general education courses toward the A.S. degree and the dental hygiene science pre-requisite courses.
- Must submit a completed TMCC Dental Hygiene Application for admission packet.