Dental Hygiene Program
The TMCC Dental Hygiene Program will be accepting a new class for fall 2013! Download the Application for Admission packet. The submission deadline is April 4, 2013 and must be postmarked by 5:00 p.m. on that date.
The following changes to the General Education requirements will be in effect: STAT 152 and SOC 101 are no longer required for the Dental Hygiene program. .
The TMCC dental hygiene program of study is a two-year associate of science degree program. Classes begin in the fall semester each year on a traditional semester schedule with completion in May of the second year.
The TMCC dental hygiene degree is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at 312-440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.
The dental hygienist is dedicated to providing preventative and therapeutic dental care.
Some of the responsibilities routinely performed by hygienists in Nevada include:
- Performing oral cancer screening through examination of soft tissues
- Examining periodontal (gum and bone) structure around and supporting teeth
- Taking and interpreting radiographs
- Removing stain, hard (calculus), and soft (plaque) deposits from tooth surfaces above and below the gum line utilizing scaling and root planing procedures
- Administering topical fluoride treatments
- Applying dental sealants
- Administering local anesthesia and nitrous-oxide sedation
- Designing and implementing treatment plans for individuals
- Designing and implementing oral health programs for groups
- Providing dental health education for individuals and groups
- To provide the highest quality of instruction and educational experiences culminating in a license to practice dental hygiene and the knowledge to provide preventive dental health services safely to the public.
- To prepare competent practitioners to provide educational, clinical and therapeutic services supporting total health through the promotion of optimal oral health.
- To encourage a philosophical appreciation for the highest standard of care, ethical and moral conduct.
- To provide an environment for the development of professional values consistent with the philosophy that the dental hygienist has an obligation for lifelong learning for self improvement, maintain professional competence, and community standing.
- To encourage thought, action and respect appropriate for diverse populations.
Students must meet certain technical standards
- Possess good hand/eye coordination and manual strength and dexterity to perform instrumentation skills necessary for direct patient care.
- Hold a current CPR card and be able to perform emergency procedures required in the field.
- Be free from conditions which put other humans at risk.
- Possess ability to read, write, record and report.
- Be able to understand and react quickly to verbal instructions and patient needs.
- Be able to effectively communicate with patients to explain procedures, provide instructions and educate.
Dental Hygiene Program
Truckee Meadows Community College
7000 Dandini Blvd. RDMT 415-A
Reno, Nevada 89512-3999
Telephone: 775-673-8247 or Fax: 775-673-8242
Email: Send A Message!