Dental Assisting Program Admission Procedures
The Dental Assisting program begins each fall semester. Admission to the program is limited to between 24-30 students and is determined by clinic availability and requires specific admission criteria. Students are selected by means of a formal program application, chronologic placement on the applicant list and the calculation of points toward admission. Applicants must be at least 17 years old.
Because the program is a first-come/first-served application process with points toward admission, you are encouraged to complete the program application as soon as possible to be placed on the applicant list. The placement on the list determines your ultimate placement once all points are tallied and applied.
You are not required to complete all application requirements prior to applying to the program and have until June 1, at 5 p.m. of the current year, to fulfill all application requirements. This would include providing proof of high school completion and attending an information session and providing proof of attendance.
Steps to completing the application packet:
- Submit an application of admission to the college.
- Submit an application of admission to the Dental Assisting Program.
- Submit a signed certificate of advisement upon attendance of an information/advisement session .
- Submit a copy of high school diploma, official transcripts, or official proof of equivalency to demonstrate completion, to Toni Hippert in RDMT 324. The diploma must be a standard diploma and not a diploma of attendance. If you do not have a diploma, you can substitute an official transcript.
- Submit official transcripts for all colleges or universities attended to Toni Hippert in RDMT 324. If you have attended TMCC you do not need to submit transcripts for those courses.
- If you are a high school senior and will not have an official diploma or transcripts until after the application deadline, please submit unofficial transcripts or a letter on letterhead from a school official indicating you will be completing June of the current year.
- Points toward admission can be earned, and transcripts for applicable courses must be sent to Toni Hippert in RDMT 324.
Selection to the Dental Assisting Program is based on the applicant's numerical position on the applicant list and completion of courses that have points toward admission.
|ENG 101||2 pts|
|PSY 101||1 pt|
|COMM 113||1 pt|
Points toward admission will be applied and based on the original placement on the applicant list, the points will be added and applicant position adjusted up or down the list accordingly.
If selected for admission, students must submit copies of the following information to the Program Coordinator by the first day of class.
- A current CPR card (Healthcare Provider)
- Two MMR vaccinations (measles, mumps, rubella)
- Tetanus Diphtheria booster, must be within the last 10 years
- Hepatitis B vaccination series/or, documentation of the first vaccination prior to the first day of school, remainder to be completed prior to extramural placement. Or signed immunization declination form.
- Current 2-stage TB skin test, or, if your test is positive, you must provide medical documentation/clearance you are not currently active with the disease.
- Current health insurance, fall semester and provide proof for each subsequent semester.
- Varicella immunization or immunity (beginning spring 2010).
- Physical exam that proves you free from conditions that put others at risk (beginning fall 2010).