Program Unit Review Committee
The Program/Unit Review (PUR) is a central component of the integrated assessment/planning process at TMCC. Every instructional program/unit in the college completes a comprehensive self-study on a five-year cycle. The self-study combines reflective self-examination and the use of data to produce an integrated, strategic approach to ongoing instructional development and improvement in order to provide accountability, quality, planning, and information for budgeting, refocusing and accreditation.
View archived minutes from past committee meetings.
Title 4, Chapter 14, Section 4.1 of the Board of Regents' Handbook states that "a review of existing academic programs shall be conducted by the universities, state college, and community colleges on at least a ten-year cycle to assure academic quality and to determine if need, student demand, and available resources support their continuation."
Truckee Meadows Community College established the Program/Unit Review process in compliance with these policies. The self-study also consolidates three individual processes—student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, and the educational master plan—into a single document. It provides an integrated, strategic approach to on-going instructional development and improvement.
About the Committee
- One representative appointed by Faculty Senate (co-chair).
- One representative appointed by Vice President of Academic Affairs (co-chair).
- One representative from Institutional Research.
- Chairperson of Student Learning Outcomes and Assessment Committee.
- One department chair selected by academic deans (not under review).
- One academic dean elected by Deans and Directors Council (preferably from a different unit than department chair representative).
- One representative from Finance Administration who also is a member of the Planning and Resource Allocation Council.
- Five (5) faculty representatives, one selected from each division, and one (1) from student services.
- Current, past and/or future self-study chairs.
- Complete the academic review guidelines in the PUR Handbook, Appendix A (link).
- Active involvement of all members in researching findings and developing strategies.
- Incorporate results of student learning outcomes into the analysis of program/unit's effectiveness.
- Validate findings for accuracy and relevance.
- Provide citations for all external data presented in self-study.
- Sign preliminary report for submission to appropriate academic dean's office on or before self-study deadline.
- Revise self-study upon discussion and recommendation from the academic dean.
- Submits signed and electronic copies of final self-study to dean for subsequent submission to PURC.
- Present findings to appropriate stakeholders (advisory committees, accreditation agencies, etc.).
Current Committee Members
- Melissa Deadmond: Interim Dean, Assessment and Planning; Program/Unit Review Committee Chair
- Julie Muhle: Professor, Dental Assisting; Program/Unit Review Committee Co-chair
- Julia Bledsoe: Program Officer I, Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Gabriela Brochu: Instructor, Foreign Languages; past self-study Chair
- Jody Covert: Director, Nursing; past self-study Chair
- Erik Frok: Counselor, Student Services
- Meeghan Gray: Instructor, Biology
- Brian Ruf: Professor, Drafting; Student Learning Outcomes and Assessment Committee (SLOA) Chair
- Cheryl Scott: Assistant Director, Institutional Research
- Henry Sotelo: Instructor, Paralegal/Law; past self-study Chair
- Anne Tiscareno: Executive Assistant, Assessment and Planning