Biology Department

Biology Department Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to the Biology Department's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Subcategory:

GeneralBack to Top

How do I contact the Biology Department?

You can contact the Biology Department at 775-673-8251, Truckee Meadows Community College, 7000 Dandini Boulevard, RDMT 331, Reno, NV 89512-3999, or by email through the Biology Department website.

I don’t see my instructor listed on the Biology Faculty and Staff page. How can I contact them?

If your Biology instructor is not listed on the Faculty and Staff Web page, it is because they are a part-time instructor. Unfortunately, because part-time instructors can vary from semester to semester, they may not be listed on the Biology Faculty and Staff page.

Generally, TMCC email addresses are the first initial and last name "" (e.g., instructor John Smith = Try contacting them at this email address and if unsuccessful, contact the Biology Department.

Where is the Biology Department office located?

The Biology Department office is located at the main Dandini campus, on the 3rd floor near the south end of the Red Mountain Building, room 331. Many, but not all, of the full-time faculty have their offices in this suite.

The Biology Department website provides the office locations of full-time Biology faculty.

Biology Degree/CoursesBack to Top

Do I have to take BIOL 190 and BIOL 190L prior to taking Anatomy and Physiology or Microbiology?

BIOL 190 and BIOL 190L are pre-requisites to BIOL 251 (General Microbiology).

BIOL 190 is a pre-requisite and BIOL 190L is a pre- or co-requisite for BIOL 223 (Anatomy & Physiology I).

TMCC is consistent with other Nevada System of Higher Education institutions in this regard. However, if you have taken the course equivalent of BIOL 223, BIOL 224, or BIOL 251 at another institution, the Biology Department will allow you to repeat that course without first taking BIOL 190. You will need to bring in or fax (775-673-7887) an unofficial copy of your transcripts and the official catalog course description to the Biology Department for evaluation.

I took BIOL 190 but not BIOL 190L at UNR. Can I take Anatomy and Physiology or Microbiology at TMCC?

BIOL 190L is a pre- or co-requisite for BIOL 223 (Anatomy & Physiology I) and a pre-requisite to BIOL 251 (General Microbiology) at TMCC; however, the Biology Department will accept BIOL 192 or an upper division lab in Biology or Biochemistry in place of BIOL 190L.

If you do not have comparable lab experience, you will have to take BIOL 190L prior to taking BIOL 223 or BIOL 251.

I'm interested in earning a degree in Biology. What classes do I need to take?

TMCC offers an Associate of Science, Biology Emphasis degree. This degree is designed to matriculate to the Bachelor of Science in Biology degree at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Required courses include BIOL 190, BIOL 190L, BIOL 191, BIOL 191L, CHEM 241, CHEM 242, PHYS 151 (or PHYS 180/180L), and MATH 181 (or STAT 152).

Additional degree requirements and a suggested course sequence can be found in the TMCC College Catalog. We also encourage you to contact the Biology Department office at 775-673-8251 for advisement.

Community Health ScienceBack to Top

I’m interested in a degree in Community Health Science. What classes do I need to take?

Beginning in spring 2013, TMCC will offer classes towards an Associates of Science, Community Health Science Emphasis degree, which will be managed through the Biology Department. The entire degree will become official beginning in fall 2013.

This degree is designed to matriculate into the Bachelors of Science in Community Health Science at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Required courses include: CHS 101, CHS 102, CHS 200, and CHS 230. Beginning in fall 2013, additional degree requirements and a suggested course sequence will be available in the TMCC College Catalog. Please contact the Biology Department office at 775-673-8251 for advisement.

What can I do with a degree in Community Health Science?

The field of Community Health Science is broad, and a degree will afford you opportunities in personal health and wellness, mental health, social and behavioral aspects of health, epidemiology, health care administration, exercise physiology, or environmental health among many others. Many students obtain a degree in Community Health Science before applying to allied health programs such as nursing, medical, physical therapy, or dental school.

See Also: UNR has compiled a list of possible Community Health Science-related career opportunities.

What is Community Health Science?

Community Health Science is a field of public health that is concerned with protecting and improving the health of communities through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research for disease and injury prevention.

See Also: UNR's School of Community Health Sciences web page.

EnrollmentBack to Top

I've taken Biology courses at another college or university that may be equivalent to Biology courses at TMCC, but how can I be sure?

Bring in or fax (775-673-7887) an unofficial copy of your transcripts and the official catalog course descriptions of all Biology classes to the Biology Department office for evaluation. If faxing, please state the nature of your request, i.e. which courses need to be evaluated, which courses are you trying to enroll in at TMCC, and for which semester.

If the course(s) you took at another institution are equivalent to pre-requisites, we can remove the block on your registration for other Biology classes. In the meantime, you should send your official transcripts to TMCC’s Admissions and Records Department, Truckee Meadows Community College, 7000 Dandini Boulevard, RDMT 319, Reno, Nevada 89512-3999, Telephone: 775-673-7042 or Fax: 775-673-7028.

Otherwise, you will need to submit unofficial transcripts to the Biology Department each semester.

Is there a waitlist if the Biology class I need is full?

Unfortunately, we do not currently have the capacity to maintain electronic waitlists at this time. We are looking into this for the future.

My instructor says he/she will let me into his/her class. Why won’t the Biology Department allow it?

Instructors cannot place a student in a class. Often the size of the classroom or laboratory dictates the maximum enrollment for a class. The Biology Department cannot increase enrollment beyond the published maximum, due to fire code.

What are DYN classes?

DYN stands for "Dynamic Dated" classes. These are classes that either progress at a "fast track" pace, where two classes are taken in 8-week sessions back-to-back (e.g., BIOL 223/224 or BIOL 190/190L/251); or, when a class begins after the semester's regular start date.

What can I do if a Biology class I need is full?

Keep checking MyTMCC online. Students often change their schedules prior to the start of the semester. Also, check with Accounting Services to find out when the purge for non-payment date is. Students who do not pay their course fees on time may be dropped prior to the start of classes, which can open up spots in a course.

What if I cannot attend the first day of class?

It is a mistake not to attend the first meeting of any class. Most science instructors will present material during the first day of class, and they will expect you to be there and be prepared. If you know ahead of time that you will not be able to attend class for legitimate reasons, you should contact the instructor prior to the start date. The instructor may or may not administratively withdraw you from the course on the first day of classes for a no show. If your intent is to drop the course, it is your financial responsibility to do so.

When is the purge date for non-payment of Biology course fees?

The purge for non-payment date varies from semester to semester. Please contact the TMCC's Accounting Services at 775-673-7155 to verify when this date is.

You must pay for fees for all classes you enrolled in prior to the purge for non-payment date, otherwise you may be automatically dropped from classes prior to the start of the semester.

Should you be purged, the Biology Department cannot guarantee your re-enrollment into the class.

Opportunities in BiologyBack to Top

Are there opportunities to work or intern in the Biology Department?

Yes, the Biology Department routinely hires students as Instructor's Aides (IAs) for General Microbiology (BIOL 251), as Peer Tutors in the Biology Open lab, or to assist the Prep Lab in preparing materials for the Biology Department's many teaching laboratories. Students may also sign up for BIOL 290, Internship in Biology, for specialized projects.

Interested students should contact the TMCC Biology Lab Coordinator.

What is the BioPrep workshop?

The BioPrep workshop is a 5-week program that meets during the summer for students interested in science-related careers. During the workshop, students learn standard molecular biology techniques such as DNA isolation, polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and cloning in addition to common laboratory practices and means of scientific communication.

This competitive program is for students who have completed the Success First Summer Bridge program prior to beginning their first semester at TMCC; however, students who have not gone through the Summer Bridge program may be considered if spots are available after the initial application process. Interested students should contact the Biology Department.

Are there research opportunities in Biology at TMCC?

Yes, beginning in spring 2013, the Biology Department will offer BIOL 290: Research Experience, where students will conduct a semester-long research project on the ends of chromosomes, telomeres, and the enzyme that maintains them, telomerase. During this course, students will learn how to culture cells and conduct standard molecular biology techniques, read scientific literature, maintain a proper laboratory notebook, and communicate science effectively. Interested students should contact the Biology Department at 775-673-8251.

What is the Co-Admission program, and how can I apply?

The Co-Admission program assists students in transitioning between the Nevada community colleges and the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR). After you complete your first year at TMCC, you may apply for co-admission at UNR. Once accepted, you will develop a plan with a University academic advisor to finish your associate's degree and transition seamlessly into a bachelor's degree program. For more details please visit UNR's Co-Admission web page.