ASLA News and Events
Fall 2009 Completed Activities
Dandini Garden Two-Day Grub-Out Success! (Oct. 15-16, 2009)
Sponsored by Nevada Landscape Association in coordination with TMCC Grounds Maintenance, Campus Planning and ASLA @ TMCC
- Thank you John Vaccaro (TMCC PD) and Dave Roberts (TMCC Facilities)!
- Members of NLA and volunteers from ASLA @ TMCC worked all day for two days to clear the Dandini Gardens site of weeds, debris and overgrowth making a clean pallet for future collaborative projects!
Truckee River Day (Oct. 18, 2009)
Members of ASLA @ TMCC participated in annual restoration activities organized by Truckee River Watershed Council whose mission is to organize "Collaborative solutions to protect, enhance and restore the Truckee River Watershed". This service-learning project helps chapter members to understand the dynamics of watershed management. The project offers participants a regional vision of Reno/Tahoe; ecological conditions upstream have a direct relationship to conditions downstream.
A preferred trail was built/defined, a riparian trail was retired with seeding and mulching and willow stakes were planted along an eroding stream bank of Martis Creek. It was a day of astounding beauty, fall weather and a late lunch in Historic Downtown Truckee!
- Check out the story about the new TMCC ASLA Student Chapter and our presence at the big national conference for landscape architecture students in Pennsylvania last February.
- Find out more about what landscape architecture is and what landscape architects do
- ASLA @ TMCC pitches first Dandini Gardens project to student government at their general assembly meeting at 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009. ASLA @ TMCC hopes it will be the first of many collaborative landscape installations that demonstrate sustainable design, art and the value of good public space. Our club hopes to be the leader in the development of a Dandini Gardens Master Plan that phases in such projects intelligently over time.
Please check back soon for more events and activities this month.