Life Skills College
Life Skills College is a first year experience program at Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) for first time college students interested in career and technical fields as their next step after high school.
Life Skills College will begin with a five week Summer Bridge program where participants will receive exposure and hands-on experience in the following areas:
- Energy technologies (solar, wind, geothermal, energy efficiency)
- Public Health (emergency medical services, certified nursing assistant)
- Transportation (automotive/diesel)
Students will also enroll in a course that will introduce them to college and spend time strengthening their math skills so they can have a good foundation for the upcoming academic year. Upon completion of the bridge program, participants will be assigned a Life Skills College Success Coach during their first year at TMCC.
Life Skills Eligibility
- Apply and be admitted to TMCC for summer 2013.
- Place into the appropriate math and English placement scores.
- Enroll full time (12+ credits) for 2013-2014.
- Sign contract committing to the bridge and a year long program.
Life Skills Requirements
- Participants will be required to attend the 5-week program from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday from July 8-August 8, 2013.
- Meet with a Life Skills College Success Coach twice per semester to review progress and have registration holds removed.
- Maintain a 2.0+ GPA and satisfactory progress in courses.
- Participate in 1 financial aid workshop each semester.
2013 Life Skills Bridge
- Free college class and math workshop
- Free lunch
- Free books and bus passes
- Opportunity to explore 5 career and technical fields and meet expert faculty
- $800 awarded fall 2013 for successfully completing the 2013 Life Skills Bridge and enrolling into a career and technical program
- Assigned a Life Skills College Success Coach during the first year in college for motivation and support.
- Receive priority registration for spring semester and fall 2014.
Contact Amber Burroughs, Student Success Specialist at 775-674-7638 or email@example.com for more information.
To view more information regarding TMCC Career and Technical Education (CTE) options, download the TMCC CTE list.