Academic Advisement

Advisement Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Advisement's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Subcategory:

GeneralBack to Top

How do I become a student at TMCC?

The first step in becoming a student at TMCC is to complete the online application for admission. Learn the important step-by-step process on how to start at TMCC by checking out the Steps to Enroll.

Once you have been admitted to TMCC, you will receive a student ID number, username, and password. Prior to enrolling in classes, please complete Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) online.

Which TMCC College Catalog should I use?

The TMCC College Catalogs are available online for the current academic year as well as for past years.

Students have rights to the Catalog(s) for the year when they first start taking classes as TMCC college-only students, the year they declare a degree, the year a degree is first offered, or the year the student is graduating.

To learn more about the College Catalog and your Catalog rights, attend an On Track to Graduate workshop.

What is the difference between an Advisor and a Counselor?

Academic Advisors are available throughout the year to assist students with educational planning, major exploration, transfer procedures, class selection, reviewing graduation requirements, course substitutions, unofficial transcript evaluations and helping you understand other information about the college.

Counselors assist students in making decisions about careers, relationships and other personal issues that can interfere with normal day-to-day life.

Do I have an assigned Academic Advisor?

No, students are not assigned Advisors; you have the option of meeting with any Advisor in the Academic Advisement center, regardless of your major.

If you have had a particularly satisfying experience with an Advisor or would feel more comfortable working with the same Advisor throughout your time here, you may request to meet with a specific Advisor for each subsequent session. Many students find that building a relationship with an Advisor helps them stay connected with TMCC and on course with their educational goals.

International Students attending TMCC on an F-1 visa are required to meet with an International Student Advisor.

How often should I see an Academic Advisor?

Degree-seeking students are required to meet with an Academic Advisor at least three times:

  1. during orientation before enrolling at TMCC
  2. in an On Track to Graduate workshop during the first semester
  3. in an individual appointment during the second semester

It is recommended that you meet with an Advisor at least once a semester until you graduate, transfer to another institution, or complete your goals.

If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to meet with an Academic Advisor. We are here to help you achieve your goals.

Does Academic Advisement have drop-in hours?

No, Academic Advisement does not offer drop-in hours. However, our office does have evening and weekend appointments available to accommodate students’ busy schedules.

Where do I find the requirements needed to complete my degree at TMCC?

The TMCC College Catalog contains program worksheets for all degree and certificate programs at TMCC.

Program worksheets list the general education and program emphasis courses required to complete a degree/certificate. Degree requirements are also available through MyTMCC and can be viewed as an advisement report or a what-if scenario.

To learn more about degree program worksheets, advisement reports and what-if scenarios, please attend an On Track to Graduate workshop.

How can I enroll in more credits? I want to enroll in 19 credits this semester, but I am unable to do so through MyTMCC.

Students are limited to 18 credits per semester.  A student wishing to carry more than 18 credits in Fall/Spring, and 14 credits during Summer must have a compelling reason to fulfill specific requirements in a given term and have earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher as a full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credits.  

To request a credit overload, please contact Academic Advisement.

Can I appeal the Excess Credit Fee?

Yes. You may complete the Excess Credit Fee Appeal form, then schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor.

Please review the Excess Credit Fee information prior to filing an appeal.

Why do I have to attend an On Track to Graduate workshop before I can register for second semester?

Degree-seeking students are required to attend an On Track to Graduate workshop before registering for second semester courses.

On Track is a group advising service designed to introduce you to all the advisement tools available on our website and through your MyTMCC student center. Understanding these tools will empower you to make informed decisions about how to meet your educational goals in an enjoyable and efficient manner.  

After you have successfully completed the workshop, the enrollment hold will be removed.

Do I have to declare a degree or can I stay "undeclared" at TMCC?

Many students choose to enter TMCC as undeclared, meaning you have not yet selected a degree emphasis. Students may remain undeclared for two semesters. If a degree or certificate is not declared after two semesters, students will be changed to non-degree seeking status.

Students who are non-degree seeking are not eligible to receive financial aid, veterans education benefits, or many scholarships.

If you know what degree you would like to declare, you may declare your degree online.

Academic Advisement can help you explore your options to find the right degree to meet your goals.

What are "college prep" or developmental courses?

Developmental courses are those numbered below 100, such as ENG 098R. These courses do not transfer to a university and are not covered by the Millennium Scholarship. Additionally, developmental courses do not apply toward any certificate or degree at TMCC.  

Development courses are important though, as they will prepare you to be academically successful in college-level courses.

Do Workforce Development and Continuing Education courses count toward any of the degrees offered at TMCC?

No, WDCE classes are stand-alone programs that do not apply toward your TMCC degree.

What should I do if I am unable to register for classes due to an enrollment hold on my account?

There are a variety of enrollment holds that may affect you as a student. For example, you may have a hold because you need to complete SOAR, attend an On Track to Graduate workshop, meet with an Academic Advisor, pay a past due balance, or update your information with Admissions & Records.

To determine the type of hold on your account, please log into your MyTMCC Student Center and click on "Details" in the Holds section on the right side of the page.

The details will outline steps required to remove the hold and the appropriate department to contact.

I am having trouble logging in to MyTMCC. What should I do?

If you are having difficulties with your username/password, you can use the self-service tools to reset them.

The Online Student Support Center is available if you need additional assistance.

Admissions & RecordsBack to Top

How do I change my degree?

You may change your degree online by completing a Degree/Emphasis Change form.

If you are an International Student on an F-1 visa, you will need to meet with an International Student Advisor to change your degree.

What is TMCC’s policy on repeating courses for a higher grade?

A student who has repeated a course may petition to have the higher grade remain on his/her transcript and have the lower grade changed to an "R" to indicate the course was retaken.

Students may replace up to 12 semester credits.

To petition for grade replacement, please complete and submit a Grade Replacement Request for Repeated Courses form. Students will not receive duplicate credit for repeated courses.

How long do I have to finish a course in which I earned an "Incomplete" grade?

If you earned an incomplete, you have until the last day of the next regular semester in which to make up assignments or examinations for the course.

(A temporary grade of incomplete (I) may be granted to a student at the end of the semester if the student is performing passing work in the courses, and there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the student from completing the course requirements by the end of the instructional period.)

How do I appeal a grade?

The purpose of the Grade Appeal Policy is to provide the student with a safeguard against receiving an unfair final grade, while respecting the academic responsibility of the instructor. Detailed procedures are listed in the TMCC Catalog. Please review the appropriate reasons for filing an official grade appeal and the steps to begin the process.

A student who wishes to appeal the grade must do so within 90 days of the official ending date of class. Please contact the Vice President of Academic Affairs (775-673-7090) for further instructions on grade appeal procedures.

How does a "W" (withdrawal) affect my transcript?

A student may choose to withdraw from a course up to the midpoint (60%) of a course. A withdrawal is not calculated toward a student’s grade point average, but is calculated in the number of attempted credits and may affect financial aid.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you are unsure or have any specific questions.

Can I walk at commencement if I am completing my degree the following semester?

Students are eligible to participate in commencement if they have completed all degree or certificate requirements in the Fall or Spring prior to commencement, or are completing their degree in the Summer term directly following commencement.

All graduating students are encouraged to participate in commencement exercises held at the close of the Spring semester each year. At that time, all Associate degrees and Certificates of Achievement are conferred upon Fall, Spring and Summer graduates for the academic year.

Applicants for graduation will be sent information on commencement ceremonies in the Spring semester.

How do I determine my grade point average (GPA)?

You may look up your GPA by logging into your MyTMCC Student Center.

Use the "other academic" dropdown menu to select "Grades". Your cumulative GPA is located at the bottom of the page.

Additionally, you may calculate your potential GPA (if your classes are in progress) using the GPA Calculator.

TransferBack to Top

Do transfer students need to complete the Steps to Enroll for new, degree-seeking students?

Transfer students have Steps to Enroll as well, but do not need to follow the same requirements as new, degree-seeking students do.

All newly-admitted students have access to Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) online. SOAR will introduce you to valuable information regarding TMCC.

What are the benefits of completing my degree at TMCC before transferring to a university?

Students who graduate from a Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) community college with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or an Associate of Business degree will receive automatic fulfillment of lower division general education requirements at a Nevada university unless specific general education courses are required for completion of the student's major program.

TMCC also provides smaller class sizes than most universities, with lower expenses.

To learn more about transferring to another institution, meet with an Academic Advisor.

How do I transfer courses from another college to TMCC?

Students must request official transcripts from their previously attended institution to be sent to TMCC Admissions & Records.

In order to have the transcript evaluated, a student must be admitted as a degree or certificate seeking student at TMCC and submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form to Admissions & Records.

Where can I see my evaluated transfer credits?

Once your transfer credits have been evaluated officially, you will see the courses in your MyTMCC Student Center on the transfer credit report, in your course history, and in your advisement report. Transfer credits will not appear on your TMCC transcript.

How do I receive college credit for an Advanced Placement (AP) test?

If you have completed an AP exam and received qualifying scores, you may receive college credit at TMCC.

Please have your official test scores sent directly to TMCC's Admissions & Records Office and submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form.

Once your scores have been evaluated, the appropriate course work will be added to your student record.