Accounting Services

Accounting Services Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Accounting Services' most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Subcategory:

GeneralBack to Top

How do I pay for my classes?

There are three ways to pay for your TMCC classes:


  1. Log onto MyTMCC and view your Student Center.
  2. Scroll down to the "Finances" section.
  3. Under the "Account Summary" box, click on the link "make a payment".
  4. From there you are able to enter the amount you want to pay. You can choose to pay by credit card or electronic check.

In Person

The Accounting Services Cashier’s Office accepts payments Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the Dandini campus in the Red Mountain Building, room 318. We accept credit cards (before 4 p.m.), cash, check and money orders.

By Mail

Payments can be mailed to the TMCC Accounting Services Cashier’s Office (7000 Dandini Blvd., RDMT 318, Reno, Nevada 89512-3999) in the form of check or money order. Make checks payable to "Board of Regents" and include your student ID number on the check.

Are payment plans offered to help me pay my balance?

We offer payment plans for the Spring and Fall Semesters. A student can choose to sign up for either a 4-part or 5-part payment plan that will divide the total amount of eligible tuition into four or five equal parts.

To sign up for the payment plan follow the steps below:

  1. Log into My TMCC using your TMCC User name and password.
  2. Click on "Student Center".
  3. Scroll to the "Finances" section.
  4. On the drop down menu, select "Other Financial".
  5. Choose "Enroll In Payment Plan" and click the double arrows (>>).
  6. The next four steps will show you your upcoming payments and due dates, along with additional information about the payment plan.
  7. Once enrolled you should get a message confirming your enrollment into the payment plan.

Can my parent/spouse/third-party contact your office regarding my account?

No. When a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, all rights belong to only the student.

On the other hand, FERPA provides ways in which a school may share information from a student's education records with parents/spouse/third-party with the student's consent. You will need to complete a third party release online through your MyTMCC Student Center.

When will I receive my refund if I dropped my class during the refund period?

Refunds for dropped classes are issued after the third week of instruction.

How do I set-up direct deposit for my financial aid or refund?

Set up your Direct Deposit online:

  1. Log in to your Student Center in MyTMCC.
  2. Scroll down to the "Finances" section.
  3. Click on "Enroll in Direct Deposit" (link is on the left side).
  4. Click on "Add Account".
  5. Enter your bank account information (including routing number).
  6. Once all information is entered and correct, click "Save".

I did not receive my check/my check was sent to old address/I lost my check, how do I request a replacement check?

To request a stop payment/replacement check you will need to complete the  and submit it to the Accounting Services Cashier's Office.

The request will be processed within 10-14 business days. You will be notified when the replacement check is ready to be picked up at our office.

I was dropped from my classes due to non-payment; can I re-enroll back into my classes?

Accounting Services does not have the authority or access to register students for their classes. If you were dropped before the semester started, you will need to re-register for your classes on your own. Otherwise, contact Admissions and Records. If you can be re-enrolled into the class, you will be expected to pay for the course/courses immediately.

I was told my funding was disbursed, what does that mean?

When funding is disbursed that means the funds are applied to your student account to pay for any outstanding balance. If funding is not enough to cover your balance, you will need to pay the remaining balance. If the funding exceeds the balance amount it will have to go through our refund process and you will either be mailed a check or have the funds direct deposited to the bank account (if you previously enrolled in the direct deposit process).

What if my check for payment was rejected by my bank?

You are responsible for the original amount of payment and a $25 return payment, additionally a hold is placed that will not allow you to add or drop classes. As you now have a balance due, you may be subject to enrollment cancellation.

What is the difference between payroll and student refund direct deposit?

  • Payroll direct deposit is available through Human Resources. It is used for student workers who would like direct deposit of their paycheck into their bank account.
  • Student refund direct deposit is available for all students via MyTMCC for refunds for dropped classes or funds received from financial aid.

When are my due dates for the charges on my account?

You can find this information online:

  1. Log in to your Student Center in MyTMCC.
  2. Under the "Finances" section, select "Other Financial" from the dropdown menu.
  3. Choose "Charges Due" and click on the double arrows (>>)

When will I receive my financial aid refund?

Refunds are usually processed once a week, after financial aid funds have been applied to your student account, and only if funds remain available for a refund.

Where can I get more information about tax relief programs for college tuition?

There are several tax programs for TMCC students. The Hope Tax Credit, the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit, Employer-Provided Education Assistance and Student Loan Interest Deductions. In January you will receive in the mail the 1098T itemizing tuition paid for the previous year. For more information, contact your tax advisor or visit Financial Aid.

Who do I contact for National Guard waivers, GI Bill questions, Nevada pre-paid tuition, vocational rehab or third-party payments?

For National Guard waivers, Nevada pre-paid tuition, vocational rehab or third-party payments: contact TMCC's Accounting Services.

For GI Bill questions: contact the TMCC Financial Aid office.

Can I appeal the Excess Credit Fee?

Yes. You may complete the Excess Credit Fee Appeal form, then schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor.

Please review the Excess Credit Fee information prior to filing an appeal.

RegistrationBack to Top

Due to special circumstances, I never attended classes or dropped on time for a refund; who do I contact to see if there is an exception so I may receive a refund?

Students are responsible to drop their classes during the 100% refund period whether or not they attend the class. If you have extenuating circumstances, you may complete the Request for Exception to Refund Policy form and turn it in to the Admissions and Records Office.

What happened to the discount rate for students living in neighboring California counties?

In 2011, the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) Board of Regents discontinued the "Good Neighbor" tuition rate.

If you had been attending TMCC using the "Good Neighbor" tuition rate continuously up to fall 2011, you will be grandfathered in, so long as you continue attending TMCC continuously.

New students from qualifying "Good Neighbor" counties may apply for the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) rate.